PDA

View Full Version : Phantom of the Opera

Brendan Dozier
09-21-2011, 01:27 AM
A few more seals. Liked the perch, expressions on both, and the rt one's pose with the mask of molting fur. Reminded me a little of the Phantom of the Opera breaking out into a serenade! :bg3: ACR, CS5, touched up eyes and a few spots, added some blur and bit of blue filter on water. Not the best quality in some areas as it was a little underexposed. I also did a B&W version which I'll add next - not sure which works best. Appreciate your feedback.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x, HH
1/160
ISO 800

Brendan Dozier
09-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Here's the B&W version. Have not done a lot of B&W, so appreciate any tips.

Hilary Hann
09-21-2011, 04:00 AM
I really like the pose of the seal in this image, quite humorous. I like the green lichen (?) on the rock in the colour version and the mottled look on the chests of both seals is interesting. I think the b&w lacks tone and depth but there are others here who are better able to advise on how to get more out of the processing. The subtle colours in the first version are quite appealing but I think you were a little optimistic hand holding at that shutter speed and lens combination, so well done! :S3:

Harshad Barve
09-21-2011, 04:31 AM
Lovely pose and excellent compo
TFS

Robert Amoruso
09-21-2011, 06:43 AM
I agree, nicely done for the reasons mentioned. I would add some contrast to the B&W version.

Rachel Hollander
09-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Brendan - great pose. The textures of the rock and fur seem to come out better in the color version and I agree with Hilary about the green. Good suggestions for more contrast in the b&w.

TFS,
Rachel

Pieter de Waal
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Hi Brendan love the pose and setting, and those expressions are so appealing with those big eyes. I have enjoyed your seal images.

Stu Bowie
09-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi Brendan, good eye contact from both seals, and just love the pose of the seal on the right. Some tweaking on your B&W version will make it pop a little more.

Brendan Dozier
09-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, here's the repost for the B&W with some contrast added:

Hilary, that was a bit optimistic hand-holding at 160 shutter speed. The lens stabilizer helps, but still a number of missed OOF frames. I think it's time to invest in a ground pod. I always cringe a little when going above 800 iso with the 7D. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
09-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Love the pose here Brendon - these guys gave you a good show for sure :t3
The title is very apt IMHO! Your reposted B&W version with more contrast is better. I do prefer the colour version - and on that one I would tone down overall highlights and increase saturation a tad...:Whoa!:

Brendan Dozier
09-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Morkel, here's repost of the color version with highlights toned down & some saturation added as you suggested: