PDA

View Full Version : Garden Cross Spider

Paul Lagasi
09-20-2011, 10:20 PM
This must be the time to see all the large garden spiders, I almost misst this one he blended in so well on the dried up plant. I took many images of this spider trying to get the head and eyes in focus. Hand held is tough but I got one keeper. I have other images clearly showing the cross but none were as sharp as this one...spider almost looks like its smiling. Thanks for looking.

D70
Nikon 105
f11
handheld no VR
iso - 640
spot metering

Allen Sparks
09-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi Paul, nice detail and focus. I like the placement of the spider. Might consider toning down some of the plant especially stem in LRC.

John Storjohann
09-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Hi Paul;

He DOES look like he's smiling...a wizened old man that knows something we don't! Allen makes a good point; I'd tone down the highlights in the plant both fore and aft....and I'd be tempted to do a dark vignette/burn the 4 corners just a bit to help draw the eye to the image. That is one well-camouflaged little critter! Nicely seen!

Jason Stander
09-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Great shot Paul... good comp, detail and dof... actually very difficult to get a facial of these spider... our ID is a hairy field spider... they hunt usually at night... otherwise VVWD!

Paul Lagasi
09-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I refined the above image a bit and added a better focused leg to replace the OOF one...my final edit....thanks for your comments

Arthur Morris
09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
The repost is mucho better. Does not look like a friendly spider. Hard to tell where the spider ends and the plant begins. Your subject surely has an attitude :S3:

Paul Lagasi
09-22-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks Artie, these spiders are large in size I really wouldn't want to be caught in its web.....makes me think of Vincent Price....:Whoa!:

Steve Maxson
09-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi Paul. Nice job capturing this orbweaver. The tighter comp and the replaced leg in the repost take it up a couple notches. Very well done!

Ken Childs
09-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Paul, great job spotting this one and a very nice job of capturing her......great work on the repost too! Those tweaks really improved an already fine image.

Was there a web nearby or is this one of the species that builds a web at night and then dismantles it in the morning?