PDA

View Full Version : Nisqually Glacier

dankearl
09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Another at Mt Rainier at sunrise.
I got up at 6 to get this high on the mountain for daybreak.
A lovely hike (2000 feet on a pleasant morning).
Wildflowers, Marmots, Deer, hard to ask for more.
Used in camera flash in foreground.

.4 sec
f22
iso200
19mm (nikon 18-105 w/ CP)

DSC_1641nx.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100890&stc=1&d=1316563723)

Jeff Parker
09-20-2011, 09:33 PM
It's a beautiful scene. I would like to experience it in person:S3:

The three paintbrush tops peeking in the bottom of the frame bother me. I tried cropping them and the sickly looking tree on the far left, but that still left the tops of the trees just left of the paintbrush sticking up.

Robert Amoruso
09-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Dan,

I find the scene pleasing but bothersome in the FG. Cropping more as was done in the repost is not the answer. Including more FG in the original exposure may have worked if you were able to obtain acceptable sharpness from near to far. I think in this instance, a different location with a cleaner FG was needed.

The brighter portions of the mountain top look to be handled well in the exposure but the darker and in shade areas are too dark. One thing that could have been done was two exposures, one for bright mountain top and one for the remainder of the image and blending them in PS on two separate layers. Not HDR, just a combination of the two exposures using masking.

Other option here is to lighten scene with a curves selection and mask out the top of the mountain using a gradient mask, or painted mask at variable opacity.

Rachel Hollander
09-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Dan - I'm enjoying your shots of Mt. Rainier. Nice early light on the mountain and glacier. I agree though about the fg. Good suggestions as always by Robert.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
09-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi Rachel, I agree with Robert's critique. It looks like a beautiful location. You could always try a re-do based on Robert's two exposure idea and create the two images in ACR - adjusting on the the highlights and the other for the shadows and then blend the two in photoshop.

Andrew McLachlan
09-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Sorry Dan, I thought this was one of Rachel's. My apologies.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
At Bosque we teach the principle of "the clean lower edge" when folks are creating bird-scapes. The same lesson applies to landscapes.... Most times without a clean lower edge (as here) you have no chance.

dankearl
09-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks all for comments and critiques.
Just in front was a gravel bank so I tried to squeeze in the flowers.
I am always learning something here.

Jay Gould
09-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Dan, following along on the "clean lower edge" principle, if you wanted to include the foreground as a significant part of the image, then a much lower view with, perhaps, the red flows sharply focused and a prominent anchor would work.

Jeff, it appears to me that you significantly changed the color of the sky.

Andrew Aveley
10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
great image . comments very enlightening.