PDA

View Full Version : Sanderling

Karl Egressy
09-20-2011, 05:41 PM
I was shooting this "poser" this morning and I was getting closer and closer.
As I was handholding, I guess I turned the f stop dial by accident and then I adjusted the shutter dial automatically
when I measured the light..
So it happened that when I was furter I was shooting with 7.1 and then when I got very close, I was shooting with f5.0.
Bad mistake. One of those days.
This picture is full frame no crop at all.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/2500
Av 5.0
ISO 320
EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x

Randy Stout
09-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Karl:

With this pose, I think the DOF worked out OK. It actually helped tone down the impact of the large rock. I rather like the leading line of the rock coming in from the LRC.

The light was fairly bright based on the shadow, and the whites look just a bit bright on the flank and neck, probably not burnt however.

Good shooting angle.

Cheers

Randy

Dan Busby
09-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Karl - I'm glad I am not the only one that does things like that! But the technicals worked out fine - the angle of the bird allowed pretty much enough DoF for the whole bird, except the far leg. That beak is super clean and the detail superb. To my eye, the birds eye looks a bit cloudy - perhaps a bit of added contrast would help.

Craig Brelsford
09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Shooting at f5 was not really a problem at all. You deserve congratulations for seeing the opportunity here and trying to make the most of it. What a useful perch you had there, and a simple blue BG. The biggest problem was, it was getting late in the morning, and the sun was growing harsh. I'm hoping that you can cool down the heat on the cheek somewhat; if you can tone down brightest whites, then you may be able to take this shot up a notch.

Daniel Cadieux
09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Not often you see these guys perched off the ground...neat opportunity you had! Toning down that cheek and performing a bit of work on the eye would be great. Love the slightly curled primary. I wish the shadow on the rock wasn't there, but I also wish this was mine:S3:.

Arthur Morris
09-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Nice juvie, BKGR, perch rock, and head angle. DOF looks fine here. Wish that the one foot were not hidden.