PDA

View Full Version : Reflections

Michael Pancier
04-01-2008, 11:15 PM
While at the 2nd Wave, I saw my guide Charlie pondering the melted snow among the reflections of the sandstone so I grabbed my Panasonic Lumix (the one with the Leica lens) and took this shot. It ended up being one of my favorites from the trip. While many times I try to avoid the human element in the landscape, lately I've intentionally tried to include an element be it a photographer or just someone who happens to add an accent to the image.

Panasonic DMC-FZ8 @ 21.6mm
f/5
1/200
ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
04-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Nice work Michael - man in the environment can be powerful. I like the composition - well seen. Overall the colors and contrast need a bit more punch.

Roman Kurywczak
04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey Michael...........besides agreeing with Robert's Nit above (which I know you can easily fix)......your using the person as a compositional element is very strong! Well done,
Roman

Michael Pancier
04-02-2008, 08:56 AM
here's a repost with contrast and saturation boosted a few notches .....

Paul Marcellini
04-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Second one is very nice. I agree, the comp works great.

Alfred Forns
04-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi Mike I like this image very much One of my favorites

The Image does need a punch but would back down a bit from the re post Would consider a slight crop from the bottom !!! Excellent !!!

Robert Amoruso
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Michael,

I came back to take a look. I agree with Alfred's comments. Re-post looking better.

Roman Kurywczak
04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi Michael,
Took a stab at it.............levels white 220 ...............color balance blue +5 (find it makes the red rock pop more) ...........selected out his face and lightned a little more..............h&s, and Roberts USM for the final pop!
Let me know what you think...........as it doesn't matter..............your comp is all there and all we are doing is playing!
Still well done,
Roman

Michael Pancier
04-02-2008, 03:05 PM
definitely much better Roman. I did a quick contrast saturation boost on my work computer. not really calibrated too well. My fear was over saturating it which I tend to do at time....;)

Alfred Forns
04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Agree the repost by Roman looks great !!! Very realistic colors and do like the results with Robert's usm settings !!!! Sweet image Mike !!!! ....... I would still take a tad of the bottom !!!

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
04-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I like the image and the human element. I will post this example just for an alternative crop. Nicely captured.

Michael Pancier
04-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks Gary. I think you and Al are on the money with the crop from the bottom.

Bob Ettinger
04-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Love the image and each repost just makes the color pop more. The comp is perfect.

susanschermer
04-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Interesting image, Michael. I love putting a human in a landscape also.
I thought I recognized the model. Charlie took me to Alstrom Point at Lake Powell.
I met you 10 days ago on the Hooptie Deux and once before at Wako.

Michael Pancier
04-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Interesting image, Michael. I love putting a human in a landscape also.
I thought I recognized the model. Charlie took me to Alstrom Point at Lake Powell.
I met you 10 days ago on the Hooptie Deux and once before at Wako.

Too wild. Charlie's great. I wish I had one more day to see Alstrom Point. He's the only guide I use out there. I'll have to plan another trip to see Canyon X, Alstrom Point, And Coyote Buttes South....