PDA

View Full Version : Another Water Lily

John Storjohann
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Loved the vibrant pink of this lily...shot with the 100-400@200mm, f/16@1/250. RAW image processed in LR; cropped from the top and then extended the LHS to put the lily more on the ROT line and to create a semi-pano. Touched up the pad a bit from debris and burn spots. One of about three different takes on this that I am considering for print...comments and suggestions always welcome.

Steve Maxson
09-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi John. Love the pinks and yellows of this flower! Nice DOF and I like your off-center comp. I'm debating whether I would prefer a little more room at the top, but let's see what the others chime in. :S3: This is another very well done image!

Paul Lagasi
09-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I'll chime in, agree with Steve excellent DOF and composition..but agree a little more room all around is needed, lily seems tight in frame..lovely series John

Allen Sparks
09-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Nice color and tones. lovely image. agree about more room on top.

John Storjohann
09-21-2011, 05:34 AM
Thank you for your comments and suggestions...a bit more space added on the top, right and bottom...thanks again!

Anita Bower
09-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Beautiful! Love the bright pinks and yellows set off by the dark pads and water. F16 seems to work well for getting all the flower in sharp focus. The pads nicely frame the flower. Those two green petals (?) on lower part of flower also frame the flower nicely. I'm the exception in liking the tight crop (but then, I tend to crop too tightly). Lovely work.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2011, 07:21 AM
While I like the repost I actually prefer the deisgn and pano crop of the image in Pane 1. Go figger. The colors work well together.

John Storjohann
09-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Anita and Artie, thank you for your comments...and the more I look at it, the more I think I like the tighter crop as well...I'm constantly second guessing myself about that, because I do tend to crop very tight, both in camera and, when necessary, in processing...always good to hear another opinion!

Anita Bower
09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Anita and Artie, thank you for your comments...and the more I look at it, the more I think I like the tighter crop as well...I'm constantly second guessing myself about that, because I do tend to crop very tight, both in camera and, when necessary, in processing...always good to hear another opinion!

John: There also the issue of personal preference. Some of us like tight crops, some of us don't. There isn't a right answer. :bg3:

Arthur Morris
09-23-2011, 11:17 AM
The difference in framing is tiny but there is a difference. And much of what we like or dislike about an image or a composition is tough to explain if it can be explained at all. A lot of it is gut feeling stuff.....

John Storjohann
09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Anita and Artie, I hear you...and agree...personal preference and gut feeling. I have found in my brief time posting that sometimes I like an image more after adding some breathing room, sometimes less...but it has open my eyes to another facet of composition to be more aware of. I promised myself when I started posting images that I'd come in with an open mind...and at least try what was suggested...yet mindful that in the end I'm the one making the decision as to what I think works in an image. Thanks again!