PDA

View Full Version : Play Nice, Children

Mike Hannisian
09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
I shot this Lesser Black-backed Gull/Herring Gull interaction at Cape May Point SP, NJ, early Nov last year. Nothing has been added to this image, but I did remove a number of other birds that were in the background. I used a Canon 7D with a Canon 300mm f/2.8 (I) with a Canon 2.0x II teleconverter. I hand held the rig. My ISO was 500 @ F/16 and 1/500 second.

arash_hazeghi
09-18-2011, 04:13 PM
interaction is great but details look soft to me I am not sure about f/16 with the 7D because it hits defraction limit and image will be soft. for small web presentation more sharpening might work. I do like the fight between the gulls! TFS

Randy Stout
09-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Mike:

Great interaction, neat that both heads are clearly visible and towards us. Good job on removing the extra birds.

Your f/stop should have given great DOF, yet I find the birds not critically sharp, and unless the focus point was way off, have to assume we are seeing motion blur here.

I like the environmental component.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

PS: Arash and I were typing at the same time. He was faster!

Mike Hannisian
09-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I understand your point but I actually like the way it looks. (I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.) Thanks for the input.

Mike Hannisian
09-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Mike:

Great interaction, neat that both heads are clearly visible and towards us. Good job on removing the extra birds.

Your f/stop should have given great DOF, yet I find the birds not critically sharp, and unless the focus point was way off, have to assume we are seeing motion blur here.

I like the environmental component.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

PS: Arash and I were typing at the same time. He was faster!

Not a problem. Yes, it is motion blur. I had been shooting the LBBG by itself when the HEGU intervened. As a result, I was at an ISO lower than I would have preferred in order to fully stop the action. Regardless, as noted above, I like the result. Frankly, I find that not having both birds entirely in focus encourages my eye mover to the birds' faces. Thanks for your input.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I like the interaction. What are they fighting over?

Mike Hannisian
09-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I like the interaction. What are they fighting over?

Cheryl

I have no idea. The LBBG was seemingly minding its own business when the HEGU started getting in its face. Apparently birds can be as irrational as our species.

Ofer Levy
09-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Nice interaction captured! I think the image is sharp - just needed some selective sharpening on the birds. Also converted to sRGB. SHutter speed was a bit too low for such action.

Sid Garige
09-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Very nice interaction well captured Mike.

Marina Scarr
09-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Great action captured but OP is not sharp to my eyes. Like Ofer's version looks sharper.

Arthur Morris
09-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Killer action and excellent repost by my friend Ofer; he beat me to the punch! Centered would have worked well here. Great to see you here Mike! (Mike edited Gloria Hopkin's killer e-book "Natural Design" (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=326)and did a stellar job of it.)

Mike Hannisian
09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I see the difference to which Ofer refers and agree it is an improvement.