PDA

View Full Version : Enemy at the Gate

Richard Unsworth
09-18-2011, 01:22 PM
:S3:

Marsh Harrier. Taken at WWT Martin Mere today
4 Marsh Harriers, 3 juv 1 adult, along with Kestrels Buzzards, Sparrow Hak and Red Kites
all much too far away. I did manage to compose this shot, which I like as a composition, and hope you do to.

7D 100-400 1.4 TC TRIPOD
1/640 F 8 eV +.33 aV MODE MANUAL FOCUS centre spot

Mike Hannisian
09-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I, too, like the composition and the fact that you put the bird into its habitat. However, I would like to have seen the bird be a bit lighter as its details are hard to see. Perhaps lightening the entire image with a curves adjustment layer, then adding a black layer mask (to undo the added brightness), and finally painting the bird with white on the layer mask to bring out its details.

Sid Garige
09-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Very nice composition Richard. Not every thing comes together every time. Better luck next time.

Daniel Cadieux
09-18-2011, 08:20 PM
It does have a certain country living feel to the image with the gate and far fence posts. I wish the harrier's wing did not touch the horizon line, and I find the overall image a bit bright (except for the bird). Just for fun a made a quick and dirty repost: I moved the harrier higher (selected with lasso, moved higher and cloned in the white canvas left behind) and burned a good portion of the setting (especially the fields above the gate), cropped out half the pond below.

Tough light and tough overall situation. Hope you get more chances with closer subjects.

BTW this image would be a great candidate to experiment with some filters!

Dumay de Boulle
09-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Nice idea but it has not completely come together here...Good effort on creativity

Arthur Morris
09-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Excellent repost by Dan as the merge was nearly fatal to the OP. Sid, did the merge not bother you???

Richard Unsworth
09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
:S3:

Special thanks to Dan for showing what can be done.

I will be having another look at the image appreciate the info
Arthur I take it you mean the birds position was nearly fatal in the OP?
as it happens I do have one with the bird higher.
Been back today but no luck - splendid aerial dog fights between Red Kite and 4 Harriers its so **** frustrating not to be in close.

800mm???

Arthur Morris
09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Yes, the merge of the bird with the "horizon" line in the OP is a big distraction.

Richard Unsworth
09-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Heres a repost

went back and used black layer mask/curves and brightened bird as suggested by Mike

Moved bird and burned the fiels a little; image not quite as bright which is a good thing

I like this image it gives me a sense of place at my favorite patch so if you can assist in making it as good as possible that will be fine