PDA

View Full Version : Wild Horsescape

Marina Scarr
09-18-2011, 10:43 AM
As the sun began to set on the Outerbanks, these wild horses grazed on the dunes near the water's edge. This particular island is only accessible by boat and there is no one at all living on the island...just the horses. This scene was so amazing in person. I wish I could have done a better job of transferring that vision to my post processing, but this was the best that I could do. Learning all about these horses' history and spending three full days with them was a real treat.

Canon 1D3, Canon 100-400L
F5.6, 1/200sec, ISO 200, manul mode
Handheld

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Harshad Barve
09-18-2011, 01:26 PM
MArina ,

Gotta love this ,love the wide angle scape her , awesome image
TFS

ramesh anantharaman
09-18-2011, 02:00 PM
I just love the layers in this shot. The white sand, the water and the whole scene just gives a sublime feeling. Very neatly done, Marina.

Mike Hannisian
09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
It's just one person's perspective (i.e.: mine), but I think it would have been a stronger composition without the flat area in the foreground. Otherwise, I like the image quite a bit, especially that it is not in the traditional 3x2 aspect ratio (something I find myself doing more of late). TFS.

Dumay de Boulle
09-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Very nice light and the dunes are great...Where are these wild horses...Lovely image Marina!

Morkel Erasmus
09-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Lovely light on these horses, Marina, and nicely composed with the layers. I don't mind the FG and find the image design quite pleasing, pano crop works well. If you wanted to have larger resolution for print you could have also created a pano by stitching together multiple frames (it seems the horses were quite stationary - having them move around a lot would make it tricky).

Marina Scarr
09-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Very nice light and the dunes are great...Where are these wild horses...Lovely image Marina!

These live on an island off the coast of N. Carolina.

Marina Scarr
09-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Lovely light on these horses, Marina, and nicely composed with the layers. I don't mind the FG and find the image design quite pleasing, pano crop works well. If you wanted to have larger resolution for print you could have also created a pano by stitching together multiple frames (it seems the horses were quite stationary - having them move around a lot would make it tricky).

I was so tired by this time that I am not even sure I could have thought a stitched pano through or even lifted my camera more than for this one last shot. However, that was a goid suggestion.

Pieter de Waal
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Lovely image Marina , like the pano crop and the lovely light on the horses. Interesting subject, do the horses stay there permanently and how big is this island ?

Stu Bowie
09-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Marina, I like your overall comp, and Im sure you had a choice of comps to capture of this scene. Great to hear these horses are left alone on the island. Did you travel to the island for all three days?

Marina Scarr
09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Interesting subject, do the horses stay there permanently and how big is this island ?

Great to hear these horses are left alone on the island. Did you travel to the island for all three days?

The horses do roam free on Carrot Island which encompasses 2,625 acres and can only be accessed by boat. On this island I believe there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 125 +/- horses. The gov't does practice birth control on 2 of the 3 areas we visited, which includes this one. I did see one foal on this island, so they apparently missed one mare. :bg3: We visited this island twice, and then two other areas as well which were all on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It was a wonderful experience and our guide Jared Lloyd was extremely knowledgeable.

DanWalters
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Very nice Marina! Really like the pano crop. Nice warm color in the horses as well.