PDA

View Full Version : North face of the Eiger - First HDR

Steve Kaluski
09-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Well with the recent encouragement & feedback I thought I would try my first HDR image from my recent hiking trip. Now this was processed on my McBook pro so not sure how 'pure' the colours are, as it's not really calibrated, but...

This was shot from our room overlooking the north face of the Eiger at about 7.30am, a location/region I know extremely well having spent almost 25 years visiting it in both Winter & Summer and where I learnt to ski too.

All processed through PS Mini bridge then slight tweaks when opened in Camera Raw and exported as tiff then converted for web. Any thoughts & advice welcome.

Subject: North face of the Eiger early morning.
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 - handheld
Exposure: 1/40s at f/9 ISO400 5 frames 0.67
Crop: FF (original capture vertical)

Andrew McLachlan
09-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi Steve, love the clouds and the rugged snow capped mountain face. It looks a little dark overall, but most likely a result of the uncalibrated McBook you mention. Nice scene!

Sid Garige
09-18-2011, 10:54 PM
As mystic as the Eiger climbing Steve.
Used to be a big of mountaineer and write John Krakauer in my past life. Still Eiger dreams is one of my favorite book.

-Sid

Steve Kaluski
09-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Andrew I do agree and will revisit the RAW combination. As this is my first venture into HDR this was a good starting point I think. Will repost if I progress this to a satisfactory point.

Sid, interesting insight, it is awesome in all respects. I think someone was climbing there via the easier route, as the light was on at night on a hut right on the ridge of the mountain.

cheers
Steve

Robert Amoruso
09-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Steve,

Use the lighten preset in Curves in PS and tweak from there - will open up the image nicely.

I like the vertical composition and dramatic lighting. Well captured.

Steve Kaluski
09-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Cheers Robert, I also applied a little more in Levels to just to open up a tad more.

cheers
Steve

Jason Hurst
09-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Magnificent image, Steve!

So is the Mk IV an addition to the Mk III? How do you like it in comparison?

Morkel Erasmus
09-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Great first attempt at a tricky form of photography to get right and make look natural Steve. I love the blue hues you achieved here as well as the clarity in the snow and the portrayal of dramatic mountain weather.
Did you use a grad filter as the sky is really dark on top? Or was it vignetted in post?? :S3:

Jay Gould
09-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Steve, the RP works for me!

Robert's advice never fails to improve an image. :5

Rachel Hollander
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Steve - Welcome back. I hope the trip was good. I too like the comp and all the blues. The repost really improves it. What program did you use for the HDR?

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks again everyone.

Jason I have not really had time to properly assess, but first impression it is a huge improvement. The little additions within the camera are excellent and the files are superb with very little work needed, love it. I still have the other two MKIIIs, but all kit at present is back with Canon for servicing and to calibrate the MKIV, not that it needed it, but I just wanted to ensure there are no issues with key lenses and extenders. Would love to get another. :bg3:

Morkel, no ND, just shot 5 frames which I pre-set in the camera. No knowing really what the HDR would do to the image it was fun to work things through. The vignette was added in PP as part of the workflow.

Jay, yep. :S3:

Rachel a nice break with some excellent hiking and little snapping for a change. As I said earlier, 5 frames shot with slight adjustments to the comp setting then imported via Mini bridge in PS, combined and all other work the done throw ACR in PS. A little complicated a first, but easy once you get used to it, but perhaps a little basic for the more Pro HDR person perhaps. Personally I am not sure about how it pushes the colours, although that might just be the way I work on the file. Sadly I wished I had taken more, but it wasn't what the trip was about.

cheers
Steve

Jason Hurst
09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info, Steve. Looking forward to seeing many wonderful shots from you, taken with it.

Jerry van Dijk
09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Steve, repost looks great, although I liked the threatening dark sky in the OP. Great work on the HDR. The image could have gained more strength if there was a little more Eiger and a little less sky. The mountain now devides the frame in two right in the middle. On the other hand, that may have ruined the dynamic sky.

Steve Kaluski
09-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Cheers Jason, well it will get hammered at the end of next month, hence the kit getting a good wash & brush up. :bg3:

Thanks Jerry, I know what you mean, but as this was my first attempt at HDR I didn't crop as it was more the look, feel and application of HDR I was trying to get right. I think once I get more comfortable in this new area I can then crop as applicable. :S3:

Robert Amoruso
09-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Robert's advice never fails to improve an image. :5

Thanks Jay.:tinysmile_shy_t: