PDA

View Full Version : Evening coyote

gary rouleau
04-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Ok I'll say it first "yes, he is looking away" but wait hear me out on this one. What I wanted to capture here is not just a view of a coyote but the loneliness and beauty in which he lives so I wanted that look away in the oncoming night.

Comments - suggestions always wanted.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
Lens (mm): 340
ISO: 800
Aperture: 6.3
Shutter: 1/320
Exp. Comp.: +1.0

Cheers
gary

Jodee Novak
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Gary,
IMHO, I think it works wonderfully. You have captured a "mood" here - a feeling of desolation and beauty at the same time. I like the image very much. Just my thoughts...it will be interesting to see what the experts say!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
04-02-2008, 04:33 AM
I hear what you say.......... but sorry but I don't really see the point of placing a faceless coyote in the image.
Is it a shot of the coyote in the wilderness.. or is it a shot of the wilderness with a coyote facing the wrong way?

Jon

Van Hilliard
04-02-2008, 04:54 AM
I "feel" the mood of your photograph and think it is a valid approach. I also think the color adds to the mood. I think the photo would work even better if the coyote were a bit to the right.

Alfred Forns
04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm with Van in moving the coyote Normally I like seeing a small animal in frame close to one of the corners Here you have such nice framing with the grasses that I would hate breaking up the composition Not sure what else you had around but maybe pointing the camera to the right? Animal would have ended at the right side of the frame looking left !!!

A slight turn to see some of the snout would have been great but do like the image as presented It is all about capturing the mood and it has been captured

Roman Kurywczak
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi Gary,
I took a long hard look at this one.............as it goes against what I normally shoot .......I felt that I really liked the mood of this one...so after reading what the other had to say (I always look at a picture first myself....without reading others comments).......I decided to try something. I intentionally put the coyote in the middle of the frame with a crop! Now when you look at the image (I hope).........you still have the mood of the snow.........but the coyote has a choice to make (more tension).......left or right. I hope you like it and I hope others come back to check it out and offer their opinions again,
Roman

Jonathan Michael Ashton
04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I have to admit, I like this one better
Jon

Alfred Forns
04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Roman's version sure looks better For the image as presented it looks like the best option I like how the grasses up front were cropped

While making the original would have preferred the camera pointed more to the left to have the coyote on the right side of the frame !!!

Jodee Novak
04-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Came back to take another look - I was really interested in what the "big guys" had to say about this one. Roman, I love what you did with this image. You're right - the "mood" is still there, but there is more to it, now. The coyote now looks like he is frozen in time and the viewer is being drawn into the scene as the coyote decides which way to go. I think this is an amazing example of how a relatively simple adjustment can make a big difference in the impact of the image on the viewer. Great work, Gary and Roman!

gary rouleau
04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Roman thanks, I like your crop, suggestions and comments. Jodee thanks for the gracious comment. For the rest of you -you guys just make this more fun and challenging everyday -thanks.
cheers

gary