PDA

View Full Version : Concentration

Mark Wiseman
09-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Concentration when stalking. This young male lion, shortly after drinking, is showing interest in it's prey and I was fortunate to capture the concentration in this image while he passed within meters of me. Kaspersdraai, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. I realize that the top of the image ideally requires more space, but I tried to get below the lions vision to try to create the affect that the viewer was below the level of the lions view, so that a different perspective is created. The following are the camera details:
Canon EOS 1Ds MkIII
EF 500mm f4 LUIS
Aperture f4
Shutter speed: 1/640
ISO: 400
Compensation: +0.7
Time taken: 6h34 (GMT +2hrs)
Any comments will be gratefully appreciated as to image improvement.

Harshad Barve
09-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Love the details , light and BG , top shot
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
09-17-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree with Harshad - lovely light, details and BG Mark. I can't help but want a little more space on top even with your explanation (but maybe it's just me being silly :w3). Not a big nit here as it is an exquisite portrait.

You seem to frequent waterholes in the Kgalagadi that I have not had good luck with...Kaspersdraai and Cheleka notably...care to tell me why you like them so much and what I may be missing when looking for game in this area? :e3

Brendon Cremer
09-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Great image and love the light in the eye. I agree with Morkel, even having read your explanation, you could have lifted the front of the lens slightly to create a little more space on top and the perspective would have differed very little if at all.:w3

I added a little canvas on top quickly, you could prob do this better with more time. And converted to sRGB colour profile. What do you think?

Mark Wiseman
09-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I really like this image and agree that a little more space needs to be added. I will add some more to the top of the image and post on my facebook page. Thanks for your help, it is gratefully appreciated. With many thanks, Mark.
:5:2eyes2:

Mark Wiseman
09-18-2011, 04:22 PM
This is the altered image and I agree it does improve the image. I trust you will approve of the reposting.
:5

Dumay de Boulle
09-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Final repost is the winner for me ...Nice intense look and great BG...Maybe try recover some of the whites in the chin and far lip just below the nose.

Morkel Erasmus
09-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Yep the repost here has a lot better 'balance', Mark! Agree with Dumay on some of the whites...:S3:

DanWalters
09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Repost looks great. Like the warm colors and clean background.