PDA

View Full Version : Crashing Wave On Lake Superior

Andrew McLachlan
09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Back from a few days up on Lake Superior's eastern shore in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park. All of my previous trips here the lake was on its best behavior, so I had been hoping for some rough weather and on this trip I was rewarded. I shot many images of waves crashing into the rugged shoreline. I would guess the waves on this day were in the 4-5 foot range, small in comparison to those that sank the Edmund Fitzgerald, but still dangerous for anyone to close to the water's edge. I used a long lens from a safe distance away. This is the first one I have optimized.

Cropped a small portion of the water off the bottom to eliminate some distracting waves at the bottom of the frame. The background is a downpour in distance.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D200
Nikon 80-400mm lens @ 340mm (510mm effective)
ISO 100
f16 @ 1/50 sec
Polarizing filter

Morkel Erasmus
09-17-2011, 02:45 PM
I quite like the framing here Andrew...nice use of the elements available and the colours look good.
You caught the crashing wave nicely. Maybe apply a touch of noise reduction to the sky portion? :tinysmile_shy_t:

dankearl
09-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Andrew, I also like the wave, the water color, but the sky is not very interesting.
I would crop right above the trees and make it even more of a pano.

Randy Bronkema
09-18-2011, 09:07 AM
nice color and wave breaking on the rocks!! I would like to see more of the rocks to the right of the frame. a pano may work well here overall exsposure looks very nice
Randy

Rob Miner
09-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Andrew, really like this one. I have the feeling that I would like more of this scene - which might have led to the "pano" comments above. All of us realize that at times there does not exist "more" even it we would like it. Thanks for the effort.

Rob................

Andrew McLachlan
09-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, very much appreciated. I shot a great number of frames at this location with various comps and some have more room on the right as I sift through the images from this location on the lake I will post more to see what folks like more. Thanks again for the comments.

Robert Amoruso
09-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Andrew,

I would agree with the crop and NR comments. Looking forward to seeing more of these images.

Andrew McLachlan
09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the comments Robert. Looks like a crop it is.

Rachel Hollander
09-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Andrew - a little late, but I really like the splash. Good timing and exposure. Good suggestions above about crop.

TFS,
Rachel