PDA

View Full Version : Katherine Cove Blur

Andrew McLachlan
09-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Just back from a few days up in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park.....very cold....very windy....very rainy....and some sun too....not to mention some 4-5 foot wave action one day.

This is a 20 second exposure at Katherine Cove. Thought it looked interesting with the massive boulder anchoring the image while the rest of the scene is blurred. This image was shot during the rough conditions on the lake. I'll post another over in Landscapes later tonight.

Look forward to comments.

Hazel Grant
09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
interesting contrast. I think it would have been nice if all the trees were blowing, and therefore blurring so that the trees and water completely surrounded the stable rock, but then, you can't control mother nature.

John Storjohann
09-17-2011, 05:52 AM
Andrew, I like this image...beautiful color and texture on the rock....smooth, almost snow like appearance to the water from the movement....I like the motion blur on the trees, especially with the hints of fall color as well. I'd be tempted to mask the rock, beach and water...and add a hint more of blue with the Motion Blur filter...just to blur the trunks of the trees a bit as well...and add a bit of additional blur to some of the more "stoic" trees. Beautiful image..it must be a truly beautiful place...I could get lost just doing images of that rock!

Paul Lagasi
09-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Wow, cold, rainy, windy, which is lovely normal, Lake Superior weather....I really like your thinking here, rock is sharp and trees and water are in motion....great OOTB thinking...

denise ippolito
09-17-2011, 07:05 AM
It's beautiful Andrew. I like the way you captured the wind blown look. The rock is interesting and well placed in the frame. The FG blur reminds me of smoke on the water.:S3:

Julie Kenward
09-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Andrew, I also like the rock/water action but wish the trees were all blurred as well. The spottiness of the tree blur just isn't doing it for me for some reason but I'm not sure I can put a finger on why.

Richard Lovison
09-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Andrew,

I agree with Paul... great OOTB thinking! If it were mine I might experiment by warming it up a bit in color temperature. Nicely done.

Richard

Andrew McLachlan
09-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the comments folks, very much appreciated!

Jay Sheinfield
09-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Andrew, this is a beauty. As mentioned above, rock placement is ideal. Love the early fall colors. Particularly nice job is applying the filtering to get the effect you were after.

Indranil Sircar
09-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Great OOTB thinking! I like the colors and movement in the trees and water. Good placement of the rock. I wonder if you had taken a wider angle image of this perspective.

Andrew McLachlan
09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks Jay and Indranil for additional comments. Much appreciated. Indranil, I did not go wider for this image as I was wanting to exclude the sky that is just above the trees.