PDA

View Full Version : Beach Scene, James Bay, Peurto Egas, Galapagos, Ecuador

Arthur Morris
09-16-2011, 07:24 AM
This handheld HDR was created with the Canon 15mm fisheye lens and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Five-frame AEB around zero: 1/500 sec. at f/16. Assembled in Photomatix.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps; I believe that the vines are morning glory.

Jason Hurst
09-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I love the use of the fisheye lens, Artie. It gives the appearance that you are on a hill, and it was one heck of a climb. Love the color of the sky, and vines, and detail in the sand.

Arthur Morris
09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks Jason. It was a gentle slope :S3:

Rachel Hollander
09-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Artie - I like how the shapes of the vines almost mimic the shapes of the clouds. There's a nice sense of depth to the image also. Because you have been extolling the virtues of HDR, I wonder if you would post one of the frames (with the best exp of course) in this thread so that we can see a comparison?

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
09-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Arthur, I would crop some off the bottom, right up to the rock shelf.
Also, while a pleasing image, it looks "HDR" to me, one of the aspects of HDR, I just have never really enjoyed.
While the sky is a nice blue, it also does not look real.
The greens also look like they were taken with a flash.
I like fisheye photos, I would like to see this as a non HDR photo.

Andrew McLachlan
09-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi Arthur, the vines makes this image. Love the lace-like pattern they have made and the distortion from the fish eye finishes it off nicely along with the HDR processing.

Arthur Morris
09-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Artie - I like how the shapes of the vines almost mimic the shapes of the clouds. There's a nice sense of depth to the image also. Because you have been extolling the virtues of HDR, I wonder if you would post one of the frames (with the best exp of course) in this thread so that we can see a comparison? TFS, Rachel

Here is the best EXP. Sorry that it took so long.... Been swamped.

dankearl
09-18-2011, 10:09 PM
I much prefer the Non HDR photo by a lot.
I guess I just don't get it, but HDR just looks contrived and uninteresting.
I would just crop the photo up to the rock shelf and do a bit of saturation on the sky and it is
a lot better to me than the OP.

dankearl
09-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Here is my version.

_-_-_-_-_-AA-_Y9C3069James-Bay,-Puerto-Egas,-Galapagos,-Ecuador.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100764&stc=1&d=1316402076)

Arthur Morris
09-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Here is my version.

Thanks. It looks flat and boring to me. And I do not like the clipped vine lower right frame edge.

Rachel Hollander
09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks Artie for posting the single exp as well. To my eyes, the HDR has more of a 3D feel (especially apparent in the clouds) but it also looks a tad oversaturated. I suppose though like anything else, that can be adjusted to taste.

Rachel

Arthur Morris
09-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Rachel, There is tons of latitude in Photomatix. When I have some time--not likely real soon :S3: I will create a more natural version for the HDR naysayers. In Pane 1 I was going for a quasi grunge look.

Andrew Aveley
10-16-2011, 03:07 AM
One of my favorite lenses :) Grungi it does look ! Maybe just toning the greens down to be less lumo may help with the natural feel !:tinysmile_shy_t: