PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily

Brendan Dozier
09-16-2011, 02:12 AM
After enjoying water lily images from John, Bob, Roman and others, I finally got a chance to shoot some at the botanic gardens. An overcast morning provided some good soft light.
ACR & CS5 adjustments, touched up a few spots on bloom, NR and Emerald Photo Filter on BG.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x, Hand-held
1/400
ISO 400

Anita Bower
09-16-2011, 05:21 AM
A beauty. I like how the flower fills the frame. Beautiful colors and pleasing bg--dark but not black. I love how the pink is sort of speckled. Am debating whether that one petal tip in the 11 o'clock position ought to be more in focus--I think so. In a situation like this, I find it difficult to know what to focus on, acknowledging that not all will be sharp. Very nice work.

Arthur Morris
09-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Whoa. When this one opened I let out a long, low whistle. It is exquisite. Love the soft light and the image design with that bit of yellow peeking out. And the textured look to the petals and the one sharp point to that one petal--just right of the yellow. I am no plant person; what do they call the covers of the bud, the green things? Are they the sepals? I love them too! WTG!

John Storjohann
09-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Brendan, this is stunning. I've never seen one with that texture to the petals...great composition...beautiful gradation in the BG...wonderful crop. As Artie mentions, that bit of yellow peeking out really sets an already outstanding image off even more. Great job!

Ed Cordes
09-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Excellent image. I love the color and the way the BG compliments the entire bloom. The flat petals on the bottom along with the centered comp make this very strong.

Jonathan Ashton
09-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Oh yes, this is a bit special - love the angle of view, the textures , colour and super detail - keep them coming!

Steve Maxson
09-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi Brendan. What's to add? I love the colors, the low shooting angle, the simple comp, and the dark background. This is an outstanding image! :cheers:

Paul Lagasi
09-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Ditto above...lovely piece of artwork

Brendan Dozier
09-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Artie, I don't know what they call the covers of the bud, tried looking it up in google, but could not find anything. Maybe someone else knows if there is a special name for that part.

Arthur Morris
09-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks Brendan. I will see if Denise knows.

denise ippolito
09-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Yes Artie I believe they are. Here is an image that might be helpful.
PS- Beautifully captured Brendan!

Arthur Morris
09-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks and WTG Lady D. Plus, I love to be right. Not sure how I dug that out of my old brain... In addition to loving flower photography Denise has worked in and owned both flower shops and garden centers for more than a while :S3: so I figured she would be the right one to ask.

Brendan Dozier
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Cool, thanks for the info Denise! No wonder you always have such great flower subjects to shoot :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Brendan, way late to the party and can't add much, but to say this is absolutely beautiful! :cheers: