PDA

View Full Version : Killdeer

Sidharth Kodikal
09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
50D, 300 2.8, 2x TC II
1/800, f 6.3, iso 400

This is from over a year ago.
I never processed this because of the less than ideal HA. I badly wish he had given me some more head turn. Is that a complete image killer?

Feedback appreciated.

James Salywoda
09-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Absolutely stunning ! Gorgeous colors and detail your work is looking fantastic keep at Sidharth

Robert Holguin
09-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Excellent shot. Wonderful background, great shooting angle, and nice detail. The head angle doesn't bother me. Well done.

dankearl
09-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Sidharth, I am not enough of an expert to judge HA, etc.
I just look at what I like and this qualifies in every aspect.
Lovely BG and the head is sharp.
Feather detail could be a tad better, but overall, a very appealing image.

arash_hazeghi
09-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Sidharth, the light and feather details are perfect so is the low angle. I agree HA is a bit less than ideal, especially given that the bird itself is slightly angled away from us. Def not a killer but I am sure you will be more happy when you get a slightly better HA :)

Tom Rambaut
09-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Light and colours are amazing - sure HA is an issue but still worth posting. TFS

Dumay de Boulle
09-16-2011, 08:18 AM
All the techs are spot on, Shooting angle, exp, IQ, DOF...Love the colors...HA is almost there but the body away from us is probably less than ideal more than HA.

Stu Bowie
09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Hey Sid, when you achieve a killer IQ, as in this, together with that stunning OOF BG, I wouldnt mind if he stood on his head.:w3 Super low perspective, and because he has such a large eye, this angle doesnt bother me.

Mital Patel
09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
i would ditto STU for the HA SID. this is indeed a great image with such a creamy bg and perfect LA.

Neil Nourse
09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Beautiful colors with a great low angle and what a clean background. Not ideal Body/HA but it's a keeper in my book.

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Sidharth....HA does not bother me at all. What I like the most here is the "in their world" feel...and I think the HA helps....gives the feeling the bird is not aware of you. I am liking that. IQ, low angle, water......what a shot.

Did you forget sharpening the feet?

yogesh_puranik
09-16-2011, 06:36 PM
sid bhai..i think you should keep the image i liked the sharpness details colors and Bg..

Sidharth Kodikal
09-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I appreciate all the feedback.

... with that stunning OOF BG, I wouldnt mind if he stood on his head.:w3

Ha! That cracked me up :S3:

... What I like the most here is the "in their world" feel...and I think the HA helps....gives the feeling the bird is not aware of you. I am liking that. IQ, low angle, water......what a shot.
Did you forget sharpening the feet?

Very interesting way of looking at it, Kaustubh. I hadn't thought of it.
Re. the feet, I didn't do any selective sharpening in this image. I will selectively sharpen the legs. Thanks!

Thanks again everyone

Randy Stout
09-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Sidharth:

Strikes me as a very painterly presentation, looks very nice.

I assume you ran NR on the foreground and background, as even the water at the birds feet isn't sharp. There is also a unusual look to the birds knee area on our right as if your masking for NR missed here.

It presents nicely, just think it could be tweaked a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Sidharth Kodikal
09-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Sidharth:

I assume you ran NR on the foreground and background, as even the water at the birds feet isn't sharp. There is also a unusual look to the birds knee area on our right as if your masking for NR missed here.

It presents nicely, just think it could be tweaked a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Hi Randy,
I did not run any NR on this image. I exposed it way to the right, to the extent that I had to grapple with the whites. So no NR was needed at all.
I applied (as I usually do), smart sharpen to the entire image. So no selection or masking there either.
Cannot explain why the water at the bird's feet isn't sharp.

I did clean up a couple of minor blobs from the water and evened out an oof plant that was just slightly visible in an otherwise clean bg.
I will check if any of that clean up was near the knee to see if I can do that better.
I will also selectively sharpen the legs and the water around it to see if that improves it. Any other suggestions welcomed.
Thanks for your comments, Randy. I appreciate them.

Randy Stout
09-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Sidharth:

Thanks for getting back on the NR question. Perhaps the low shooting angle changed the perspective enough that the usual slice of sharp water at the birds feet isn't noticeable. I stand corrected :bg3:

Cheers

Randy