PDA

View Full Version : Side View of Bee on Flower

Jason Hurst
09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
A side view of the Bee that I posted a pic of a couple of days ago. I realize I should have used a smaller aperture for more D.O.F. Live and Learn.

Canon 1Ds Mk III, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro Lens (non Di version). Bogen/Manfrotto Tripod & Ballhead. ISO 100 1/250 @ f/5.6. Sharpened, & Converted from RAW to Jpeg in DPP. Cropped and Resized in CS4.

http://i56.tinypic.com/6p0sk6.jpg

Steve Maxson
09-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Jason. I think the side view of the bee is an improvement and, as you mention, more DOF would also help. Something else to consider next time out - do you want an image of a flower with a bee on it? (in which case, this view will work fine if you have sufficient DOF to get both in focus) - or do you want an image of a bee on a flower? - (in which case I would suggest lowering the camera to the bee's eye level and getting in tighter. You may end up cropping out part of the flower, but the result will be a more compelling image of the bee.) Just a few more thought to keep in mind when you're in the field. :S3:

Jason Hurst
09-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the comment, and tips, Steve. Much appreciated. I know that once I get my own camera, I will be more patient, and will do a lot more pre shot visualization, and planning. Also, while the tripod I was using does go down as low as "ground level" it does so by removing the center column, then reinserting it horizontally into a designated "slot"...very time consuming. Which isn't bad if you have the time, but when you're in a bit of a hurry...

Anyway, thanks again for the tips, and I can't wait to put them into practice.

As far as these photos go, it was sort of a win-win situation...The flower was my main interest, but when I saw the bee, that was the icing on the cake. Just wish I would have done a better job in capturing both.

Brendan Dozier
09-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Like the POV on this, Jason. Nice fuzz detail on bee and colorful flower. Steve gives some good advice and suggestions, look forward to seeing more!

Jason Hurst
09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks Brendan. Looking forward to putting all the wonderful advice I've been given into practice, and to posting more. Can't wait until I get my own 1D/1Ds body, and to most more pics. I absolutely LOVE photography!

bhavya joshi
09-20-2011, 09:43 AM
hi.. Jason More Better image than earlier one.. like the side view... nice compose also... Steve have nicely explained. . Take more and more photographs... you get nice experienced..

Jason Hurst
09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks Bhavya. You're right, experience is the best way to learn. After over 30 years of shooting film, I can't wait to get started shooting digital. The few times I have shot with digital, I loved it. Hope to get my own 1D/1Ds body A.S.A.P.