PDA

View Full Version : Orchid

Norm Dulak
09-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VRII lens @ 300mm, hand held
Matrix Metering -0.33
ISO 400; f/7.1, 1/160 sec
PP PS CS5: levels, curves, crop and smart sharpen

I think that this little orchid in the Longwood Gardens Conservatory proves that good things can come in small packages. What I especially like are the colors of the flower, the adjacent bud, the orientation of the orchid's central elements, and the diagonal dark line in the background with the adjacent green elements.

But what is your impression of this little orchid, and have I presented it in a way that is pleasing to you?

Norm

Brendan Dozier
09-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Beautiful comp, color and outstanding IQ on this, Norm! I think the two tone BG works really well and gives good contrast and has nice glow to it. I might try a version without the bud, but still very, very nicely done!

John Storjohann
09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Nicely done, Norm; I agree with Brendan's comment about a version without the bud...and I'd love to see a version with more room on the RHS as opposed to a square cropo. Nice color...good center sharpness...looking forward to seeing more.

Anita Bower
09-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Getting a decent bg in the Longwood Orchid conservatory is challenging and you did a great job. Lovely little orchid. A little more dof would allow the entire orchid to be sharply focused. I agree with above comments that the orchid would stand out more without the bud. I would tone down the greens just a bit. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Maxson
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Norm. This is a beautiful orchid and I love the soft light and the background. The bud doesn't bother me, but you might consider removing the bit of green between the top two petals as that is drawing my eye. I might also suggest cropping a little from the left to get the flower somewhat off-center. This is very nicely done!

Norm Dulak
09-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

In this repost, I've tried to address many of your ideas -- Bud out, green between upper blossoms gone, crop for less on the left and for more on the right. And for Anita, I've tried to sharpen a bit more.

So here you have it.

Thanks,

Norm

Anita Bower
09-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I like the clean look of this second post. Well done! I hope it meets your vision.

Jonathan Ashton
09-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Very nice image, my comments would have been similar to those previously posted, I especially like the repost. Was this a crop I presume it was, because you underexposed, I think that has introduced a little noise in the background which can easily be fixed.

Ed Cordes
09-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Re post is much better. A stronger image without the distracting bud and less room on the left.

Norm Dulak
09-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments on the repost!

Norm

Adrian David
10-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I like better the repost! Beautiful orchid with very nice colors. I, too, would like a little more DOF to have the entire center part in focus.