PDA

View Full Version : Canon 580 EX II Flash

Ed Vatza
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Not a major purchase but I am thinking about upgrading my flash from a 430 EX to the 580 EX II and moving the 430 EX to my Macro bag. However, I keep reading negative reviews about the 580 EX II most of which focus on the master/slave relationship but there were other criticisms. My primary interest is for outdoor shooting in low light/birds/fill flash. Is the 580 EX II a wise choice for that or should I look for a used 580 EX or stick with my 430 EX?

Ed Okie
01-09-2008, 01:09 PM
One thing I can add... the user manual and the 580 EX II is one of the most confusing tools to attempt to use. The 580's LCD screen presents you with an over-gorge of information. User-manual "clarity" is well-forgotten word-speak with most manufacturers. Canon is dreadful. I suspect other brand names are the same. Ironically, Canon's equipment is for the most part excellent. Is the upgrade from 430 to 580 noteworthy? Certainly there's more potential. Light output increase isn't huge. Bounce function, built-in baffle card, solid secure lock onto camera are all excellent upgrade improvements. Will the 580 make you look tall, dark and handsome? Not by a long shot.

Dave Holland
01-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Although it may not help with bird photography, having an extra flash opens a whole lot of doors regarding artificial lighting. I have a 550 and a 430, and with those two I can use the master/slave relationship to get the 430 off the hotshoe using Canon's built-in wireless triggering. The 580II offers a faster recycle time than the 550, and also it has a jack port for electronic triggering if you later graduate to pocketwizards.

Having said that, I don't think you get a lot more by upgrading from the 430, unless you want the latitude of off-camera flash. Having made that step a couple years ago, I can tell you that your flash photography will graduate to a whole new level when you get the flash off camera. Buying a second flash with master capabilities is the simplest way of achieving that, and I believe the 580 will be fine. Consider spending some hours on the 'strobist' website for some interesting ideas.

Dave

Christopher C.M. Cooke
01-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I have the quadrella. 430, 580, 580EX11 and MR-14 Rnglite

Two most used the 580 and Ringlight (Macro and Portraits), 580EX11 is weather sealed and I use it with my weather sealled lenses near salt spray and drizzle.