PDA

View Full Version : White Lily

John Storjohann
09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
It's getting toward the end of the water lily season...they'll still bloom for a some time, but the pads are starting to show their age, and the large lilies from the Amazon are starting to fade. This image was shot with the 100-400 @ 180mm, f/22@1/10. RAW image processed in LR, some local adjustments made with Viveza, a good bit of detail touch up on the pad where holes and burn spots were collecting. I thought of evicting the bit of a pad in the URC and decided against it...to my eye it left too much of a black hole in contrast to the pattern of pads throughout the rest of the image...still debating. :e3

Brendan Dozier
09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Very nicely composed, John. Nice soft light, good contrast between bloom & BG, and like partially submerged pad. I think your right regarding the URC, it helps to frame the bloom with the other pads. Pretty minor, but there is a turned up petal edge, the one just below the petal tip furthest to rt, which seems to be a bit too black. Wondering if you lighten it slightly it would look more natural. Beautiful work!

John Storjohann
09-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Thank you for your comments, Brendan; and you're right about the small petal tip. Zoomed it, it has the typical mottling of the backside of the lily; just very dark! I used the dodge tool to brighten it a bit...dont' know if you'll be able to tell at this posting size..I may just eventually rebuild it when I get back. Take care!

Anita Bower
09-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Beautiful lily! You did a lovely job with the whites. The lily pads frame the flower nicely, and I agree with you on the URC pad. I wish there were a bit more room at the top. I would crop from the bottom to eliminate the lily pad in the center right lower border. The tears in the large pad distract from the perfection of the lily. I like the angle you chose and the lovely composition.

Steve Maxson
09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Another beautiful lily, John! Well exposed with good detail in the whites plus good overall sharpness. I'm OK with the pad in the URC, though, like Anita, I'm wondering if a little more room at the top would help the comp. Overall, this is very well done.!

Brendan Dozier
09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Repost looks good, John - sorry, that was a picky nit, not too familiar with water lilies, but after looking at some today, I see what you mean. I also agree with Anita & Steve on adding a little more room at top.

Arthur Morris
09-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Love this. The best thing about it is the careful image design. I love your choice of the upper right third for placement of the subject. Colors beautiful and EXP perfect. Hard to see a difference.

John Storjohann
09-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Anita, Steve, Brendan and Artie, thank you for your comments and suggestions. Back in town and catching up...

Brendan, not picky nit at all...I agreed with your assessment 100%...on the full size image, the dodging I did is very noticeable, you just can't see it here. I may spend some time with it this weekend and rebuild that petal tip. Keep the critiques and suggestions coming!

Anita and Steve, I'm not sure on adding canvas yet...I'm going to see how it looks when I do...or what happens if I crop a bit from the bottom.

Artie, thank you...I think I'm a bit with water lilies as you are with skimmers...can't get enough! They're simply wonderful subjects, and one I connect with.

Arthur Morris
09-16-2011, 06:39 PM
I just may water lily tomorrow morning....

John Storjohann
09-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Artie, wish I could be there!