PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Puffin

Herb Houghton
09-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Here's an immature Atlantic puffin from Machias Seal Island, Maine. mk IV, 500 f4, iso 200, f8, 1/500 shot in manual, handheld from a blind.

Colin Driscoll
09-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Now that is detailed, such interesting looking birds.

Arthur Morris
09-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Wicked different. I am not sure if that is a young bird or an adult molting into basic plumage. I would suspect the latter but could be very wrong :)

Doug Brown
09-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I've never seen one in that plumage before. Love the detail.

Marina Scarr
09-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Now this is different, and I love it....am even envious. Could you share the date you captured this on MSI please? I would imagine later in the season.

Ben_Sadd
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Are you sure you just didn't get carried away with burning in pp ;). Great to see something different, and the detail you have captured is amazing.

annmpacheco
09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Did this guy fall down the chimney? Exquisite detail. Let's ask Chardine!

Robert Holguin
09-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Superb image!!!! As stated already amazing detail and I really like the background as brings out the puffin nicely. Well done.

Pieter de Waal
09-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Herb , allways love the Puffin images and this one is no exception, different but with great detail as mentioned. TFS

Tin Man Lee
09-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Spectacular details on something I have never seen. I read from bird guides that juvi atlantic puffins do have darker face but didn't know its that dark. And I didn't know half of the beak is dark too. Really cool find and nicely done.

Dan Busby
09-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Herb - I have sat in those very same blinds and experienced those birds so close. You really put the 500 to good use here to show off the amazing detail on the bird's face. Good call!

Herb Houghton
09-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. The puffin is most likely an immature bird, as it's beak has not developed a full shape yet and the colors are too dull. The adults do not lose their colorful plumage until the fall. This pic was taken July 24th, 2011, a tad early for any of the adult puffins' molt. The yellow rosette at the corner of the beak would be more developed if this was an adult. :S3:

Arthur Morris
09-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Still not convinced.... July 24th seems way too early for a young puffin to be out of the nest. And as far as I know, when they come out of the nest they got directly to the water without passing go. There is a chance that it is a one year old as one year olds of many species exhibit stange molting sequences. I will try to get comments on the bird from a few friends.

Arthur Morris
09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
From Julie Zickefoose: I think that it's an adult going into winter plumage early, for whatever reason. It looks like he's shed some of the horny plates on the bill and the yellow rosette of flesh at the gape is now shrinking and fading. AMAZING shot. Love it!

Julie is a skilled professional naturalist, painter, and writer specializing in bird: http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com (http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/) and julie@juliezickefoose.com.

She is a judge for the BIRDS AS ART 1st International Bird Photography Competition (http://www.birdsasart.com/competition/): 11 great categories, $20,000 plus worth of great prizes. I gotta say that many of the images in Avian blow away the stuff that has been entered so far. What are you all waiting for???

Arthur Morris
09-14-2011, 02:13 PM
From Kevin Karlson, "It is an adult in nonbreeding plumage. A juvenile would have a triangular bill without the rounded bulge of upper and lower mandibles, and less orange color to the inner part of the outer bill. This might be a second year bird that did not go fully into breeding plumage, and instead molted into a nonbreeding state in the spring."

Arthur Morris
09-14-2011, 02:47 PM
From David Sibley:

This is definitely not a newly-fledged puffin, the bill is too big and colorful. It is in "winter" plumage with dark gray face and without the bill plates at the base. That fact and the relatively small bill with only 2 grooves in the red part puts it at two years old. They don't breed until at least 4 years old, so this must be a non-breeder just visiting the colony for the experience.

Best, David

sibleyguides@gmail.com and www.sibleyguides.com (http://www.sibleyguides.com/)

Randy Stout
09-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Herb:

Very fun picture, well done, great detail, and great discussions!

There is a noticeable halo around the birds head, easy fix.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

Herb Houghton
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the research Artie. I stand corrected. It must be an adult. I would take Kevin's word on it, for sure. I just met him a few weeks ago. :)

Arthur Morris
09-14-2011, 06:57 PM
YAW. I don't mind saying I am wrong when I am wrong but I do like hearing "You were right." It is nice to have such skilled friends. I should have mentioned that David Sibley's ID Guides are widely accepted as the best ever.

Mital Patel
09-15-2011, 11:46 AM
marvelous macro details here. and i love the entire discussion held over to ID it.