PDA

View Full Version : Pollen thief

Jason Stander
09-13-2011, 04:33 AM
HI ALL!!!...I just love spring... lovely to have insects back after the winter... I found this African Mask Crab Spider in my in laws garden... he was besides himself... smothered in pollen... LOL!

I know that not many people are going to enjoy the OOF stamens on the RHS... but it was included to show perspective, angle and size at which I photographed the spider.

I hope you enjoy... crits and comments are always welcome.

Canon 60D + MP-E 65mm (mag x1.5-2) + MT24-EX Macro twin lite.

Aperture:f13
Shutter speed:1/100s
ISO:125

John Storjohann
09-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Hi Jason;

That is one pollen-soaked crab spider! I almost hate to say it...but you're right...the OOF stamens are something I feel distract me in the image...but past that I really like the composition..the curved lines of the petals leading to the spider, the color contrast between the orange of the pollen and the pale purple of the bloom...and the intensity of the eyes! To my eye it looks like there might be a little bit of haloing around the front legs...it may just be the play of light around them as well..not sure. Nice capture!

Valerio Tarone
09-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi Jason
Like the image as the OOF stamens not disturb too much. Very good from the technical point of \ view.

Jason Stander
09-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Thank you John and Valerio... much appreciate your time...:w3

Brendan Dozier
09-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Very cool looking spider, Jason, and nice detail on this. The pollen is a great touch, wish the stamens were in focus, but still very nicely done!

Steve Maxson
09-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi Jason. Glad to see you are finding new photo subjects and the title of your post is very fitting! All the pollen adds interest to the spider and the OOF stamens are not bothering me. You captured a classic crab spider pose with good sharpness on the eyes where it matters most. I agree with John about the "haloing" around the left pidipalp - maybe it's just a DOF issue. Overall this is nicely done and I'm looking forward to more spring critters. :S3:

Arthur Morris
09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
It does not look friendly. Sharp with a perfect EXP. I'd be fine with the oof stamens but for the one that merges with the one leg....

Ed Cordes
09-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I like it as is. The sharp focus is on the subject and keeps the emphasis there. The pollen all over the spider is a riot to see. The OOF stamens do not bother me and to my eye actually directs me to the spider.

Jason Stander
09-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Thank you Brendon, Steve, Arthur and Ed... really appreciate your time!!!:w3