PDA

View Full Version : Semipalmated plover wing spread

gail bisson
09-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Canon 7D
f 500mm FULL FRAME!!:bg3:
ISO 400 SS 1/500 f 7.1
I blew some of the underwing but did a linear burn in CS5. Not perfect but acceptable?
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail
My SS was too slow and I really don't know why :2eyes2:

Aidan Briggs
09-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Hey Gail, nice low angle and colors. The pose and sharpness look good too. The yellow rock intersecting with the back half of the bird bothers me. You were a bit off light angle, the blown whites you mentioned would have been easier to expose if you had been right down sun angle. Looks like it would have required you to get wet though.

Keep them coming!

Arthur Morris
09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Nice raised wings and sharp but after that the young Mr. Aidan is right on the money. This one does not do it for me.

Dumay de Boulle
09-13-2011, 04:57 AM
Image looks sharp enough so I dont think the SS was a issue at all...In hind sight a a different shooting angle (Maybe a move to the right, but you may have gotten wet by the looks of it) would have been better. Whites are blown under the chin./ Lots of things to like here though, good textures in the water, nice colors on the rocks and the IQ and sharpness looks good.

Karl Egressy
09-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Nice picture, Gail. Love the pose and the side light makes it interesting.
I was wondering if fill flash would have improved the image. I'm a big fan of fill flash and side light is a
good situation to see the advantage of using it.

Stu Bowie
09-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi Gail, perfect eye level perspective here, and well timed to get the slightly raised wings and open beak. The bubbles in the flowing river add a nice touch, and agree moving to your right would have created a better angle. Pack your gumboots next time. :w3

Pieter de Waal
09-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi Gail, nice low angle and pose of a lovely little bird, how do you get so close? All has been covered but agree with Dumay lots to like.

gail bisson
09-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Thank you all for your comments! They are very helpful.
Pieter, Re: how do you get so close. I am very patient and don't move! These little birds are not super timid though and often will come racing up to look at the lens, then quickly turn around and move away a few feet but stay.
Gail

Pieter de Waal
09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you Gail, sounds wonderful wish our birds were a bit more cooperative, but hey maybe I need more patience.