PDA

View Full Version : Ctenucha moth

Nancy Bell
09-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I haven't had much to post here lately but discovered this brilliantly colored moth while in central Oregon during August. I'm bummed about cropping off the bit of wing but this guy moved before I could reposition myself.

1D Mark IV, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, 1/1000, f5.6, exp. comp. -1/3, ISO 400, tripod

C & C most appreciated.

bhavya joshi
09-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Nice Shot.. Nancy Like the Sparking color of this moths.. Nice details And Like the vertical composition.. Just need little more space at bottom so that whole wings can come. overall nice image..:S3:

John Storjohann
09-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Hi Nancy;

That's a wicked looking moth...I love the contrast between the red head and the almost iridescent blue of the body. It's a shame you couldn't get repositioned for a second shot before it moved; have you tried extended the canvas with the crop tool, selecting the white space created, and using content-aware fill just to see what you could start with in hopes of rebuilding the wing? Nice eye on catching this one!

Steve Maxson
09-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Nancy. Beautiful colors on this moth and you captured a nice pose - too bad about the clipped wing. Good sharpness within your DOF and I like the clean background. I would wish for a little more DOF on the moth. It looks like you had enough light to shoot at f/8 and 1/500 which might have made the difference - something to try the next time in the field. :S3:

Arthur Morris
09-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi Nancy, Killer moth and colors but does not work well for me:e3. Aside from the criminally clipped wing: harsh light, too contrasty and over-saturated.