PDA

View Full Version : Window in Time

Jeff Parker
09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Through the window of an abandoned building in Big Bend National Park.

Canon 7D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS @ 28mm, 1/80sec., f/11, ISO 800

Robert Amoruso
09-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Jeff,

Nice idea executed well. Though no particular recommendation, I do find the widow frame in shadow a bit flat. I would try opening up shadows, increasing luminance (levels), increasing contrast (curves) selectively on the window frame to see what you can create.

dankearl
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I also like the idea, but the image in the window doesn't do much for me.
The walls and window frame are the best part.

Michael Lloyd
09-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Dorgan ruins? I love Big Bend. I have to agree with Robert. The window needs some punch.

Jeff Parker
09-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Dorgan ruins? I love Big Bend. I have to agree with Robert. The window needs some punch.
One of the buildings at Mariscal Mine. I love Big Bend as well.:bg3:

Rachel Hollander
09-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Jeff - Nice idea and Robert's suggestions will take this to another level. One thing that is a little distracting for me is that the various horizontal lines all are slightly off so I feel like it needs a slight rotation but I'm not sure in which direction.:eek3:

TFS,
Rachel

Jeff Parker
09-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Jeff - Nice idea and Robert's suggestions will take this to another level. One thing that is a little distracting for me is that the various horizontal lines all are slightly off so I feel like it needs a slight rotation but I'm not sure in which direction.:eek3:

TFS,
Rachel

It was level according to the built in level on the 7D. I think it's a combo of lens distortion and the building returning to earth.

Michael Lloyd
09-12-2011, 09:06 PM
One of the buildings at Mariscal Mine. I love Big Bend as well.:bg3:

Ahhh! Of course! I want to do some night stuff there one of these days. Did you circle back behind the ruins. There are some nice views back there. I'll take the River Road over the Old Ore Road for comfort any day :bg3: I stuck the first iteration of a "Big Bend video" in the Video Critique section. If you've been to Mariscal you've likely seen everything in it.

Good stuff. Mariscal is not a mainstream destination in the park :5

Arthur Morris
09-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Good stuff above. Raising the camera a bit would have reduced the amount of fairly white sky. Again I ask, why not HDR?

Jeff Parker
09-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I'll admit I have not tried playing with HDR. I don't like the look of the the vast majority of HDR images I have seen.

Arthur Morris
09-16-2011, 05:35 AM
With a bit of practice you can get them looking quite natural. I find them a great way to get past flat, cloudless skies. And if you get really good--I am not there yet-- there are lots of blending options in Photoshop to make the results look even more natural.