PDA

View Full Version : Safety: What do you do?

Fred Canter
09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
After reading Jason's poster, http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/89026-PLEASE-BE-SAFE-OUT-THERE!!!!! and at John's suggestion I decided to start this thread to see others experience and what they do for safety measures.

To be honest it's not something that entered my mind very often. Growing up on a large mountainous farm and having free access to not only our land but all the neighboring farms I learned from an early age to be comfortable being alone in isolated areas. Later on as an adult I relied more on the buddy system and have been in wilderness areas, but always with at least two other people.

Now, where I live it is the exception when I'm with someone else when afield. Living on an island I never thought of anything being remote here, and my only concern in the past was meeting the wrong people when out in isolated areas. To control those opportunities I do not venture out on weekends when one never knows where they will see people. Since I normally photograph on private land and tend to shy away from parks most of the time I can be isolated even while in areas close to human populations. I carry a bag with a few essentials such as an ace bandage, paracord, small amount of duct tape, emergency insect repellant, knife, compass and a few other items.

A few months ago I decided to look around a different part of an area I'm familiar with and visit often. While cutting my way through jungle habitat I came upon a swamp area that had various shorebirds and waders working the area. I setup the tripod took a few shots, when the shorebird I was working flew to a different spot I decided to walk and have a look around for a better angle. I left the tripod in place and after walking about thirty feet I stepped into an area and sank to my knee. My normal reaction was to pull my leg free by using the free leg, all that did was sink both legs to the knees. A little more struggling and I was up to my crotch and slowly sinking more. Bending at the waist I was able to distribute my weight and stopped my body from sinking. Looking around I found nothing to grab onto for support but did notice a large tree limb laying just out of reach in front of me. Using the small gear bag I carry I was able to throw the bag, catch the limb and after a few attempts drag it to me. Placing the limb parallel to my body I tried to leverage myself out and succeeded in sinking the limb to my wrists. Since I had on slip on boots I decided to try one more time before calling my wife for help. Moving side to side I noticed the sand became more liquid and using the tree limb I was able to leverage myself out by leaving my boots buried. I think that had I been wearing my normal laced hiking boots I would have needed help to get out. At this point I crawled to solid ground to regain my composure and think about the situation for a few minutes. The thought that kept going through my head was the mile walk back to the truck in stocking feet and all the sticky things I had to walk thorough. I then decided to make an attempt to retrieve the boots. I used fallen tree limbs to create a bridge that allowed me to crawl over the area and not sink. By using another tree limb I was able to dig enough to retrieve the boots. It struck me at the time that I was probably in quicksand, but really knew nothing about it. Later research opened my eyes to the hazards of quicksand, the real stuff and not the Hollywood version. The information I've read indicates that the only way to escape from quicksand is by moving side to side to liquify the area around the body. If someone just tries to pull the victim out, the amount of force needed to pull someone stuck in quicksand is enough to remove limbs from the stuck person.

Since this incident I've changed how I approach being out alone. Even though I'm always close to areas of human habitation, the area I was stuck in is so isolated that in all probability no one has ventured into in years, if ever. The chance of locating me there was slim to none without knowing where to look, or at least getting close enough to hear me yell. The areas I visit do have cell phone service and most of the areas even when a call can't be made text messaging works. I added a GPS system to my iPhone that can connect to social networks, I then opened a private Twitter account that only family and trusted close friends have access to. The GPS records my track and Tweets the location periodically. All of the people that receive the tweets have phones that receive the information so some or all of them always know where I am. I'll tweet at the starting location that I'm leaving the vehicle and tweet at the end location to let them know I've finished and am safe. I also have the option to send an SOS to all those on the system or after two hours of no updates from me and if they can't reach me they will start efforts to find me at my last known coordinates. The only bug in the system so far is the battery life, which I've overcome by a small solar charger that stores one complete battery charge in it and re-charges by being strapped outside of the bag. I've been able to get a complete day of use by using the solar system and the phone. I've also added a folding grappling hook and rope that I carry when in the area with quicksand and a walking stick to test the ground prior to stepping on it. I let my location be known to my trusted friends and family, but still cringe at the thought that I'd ever have to use them for this help. But, I've swallowed my pride and will use them if needed.

How do you handle safety, especially when alone?

Jason Kinsey
09-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, Fred. I've obviously been thinking about that more the last few days, and talked to some of my colleagues about some additional measures we can take to insure our safety.

Many of the areas I am out in have spotty cell phone service, but I always have my phone with me anyhow. From here on out, I will leave a detailed location of where I am going, as well as contact information for those who have knowledge of the areas. I don't have a smartphone anymore, so the apps are out. I have considered a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) like this one here http://www.rei.com/product/791972/mcmurdo-fast-find-210-personal-locator-beacon-with-gps to add to my gear, but that probably won't happen overnight.

One thing that someone brought up Saturday was keeping a small whistle in your vest, pack etc. It is much louder than a human yell and requires a fraction of the energy-which could be a big issue if you are out alone for an extended period of time.

These are just a few thoughts I have right now, I'll post some more later.

Daniel Cadieux
09-13-2011, 06:33 AM
I have to admit I don't think about it as much as I should. I haven't yet ventured in "remote" ares but I do tell people where I will be, and I have a multi use "jack knife" in my bag, but I use it more as a tool than for safety reasons. The one thing I do put on with a purpose are steel-toe safety shoes. I'm afraid of dogs and there is a large number of dog owners who think they are above the law and let them loose in parks and other wooded areas and trails (some of them quite big and menacing in looks). If one of those dogs comes running towards me I will not hesitate in giving it a swift kick in the jaw (at least I feel safer in thinking I could do so!). Sorry if I offended any dog lovers out there!!:S3:

Fred Canter
09-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, Fred. I've obviously been thinking about that more the last few days, and talked to some of my colleagues about some additional measures we can take to insure our safety.

Many of the areas I am out in have spotty cell phone service, but I always have my phone with me anyhow. From here on out, I will leave a detailed location of where I am going, as well as contact information for those who have knowledge of the areas. I don't have a smartphone anymore, so the apps are out. I have considered a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) like this one here http://www.rei.com/product/791972/mcmurdo-fast-find-210-personal-locator-beacon-with-gps to add to my gear, but that probably won't happen overnight.

One thing that someone brought up Saturday was keeping a small whistle in your vest, pack etc. It is much louder than a human yell and requires a fraction of the energy-which could be a big issue if you are out alone for an extended period of time.

These are just a few thoughts I have right now, I'll post some more later.

Jason, a PLB is a great option, while I haven't used one I do have a friend whose made use of it when he fell and broke a leg while out cruising a remote timber stand. A whistle is a good option and not something I've thought about carrying recently, but is one of the few items that I was required to carry growing up and roaming over several square miles of acreage. I have a noise maker with me but it will run empty after a bit while a whistle won't.

I have to admit I don't think about it as much as I should. I haven't yet ventured in "remote" ares but I do tell people where I will be, and I have a multi use "jack knife" in my bag, but I use it more as a tool than for safety reasons. The one thing I do put on with a purpose are steel-toe safety shoes. I'm afraid of dogs and there is a large number of dog owners who think they are above the law and let them loose in parks and other wooded areas and trails (some of them quite big and menacing in looks). If one of those dogs comes running towards me I will not hesitate in giving it a swift kick in the jaw (at least I feel safer in thinking I could do so!). Sorry if I offended any dog lovers out there!!:S3:

Daniel, the biggest problem is that none of us, myself included, think about this until something happens. Telling someone where you will be is fine as long as you can be specific and stay pretty close to that specific area.

As far as the dogs go, I understand exactly what you're saying and even being a dog lover you've caused no offense to me at least. Dogs are given the distinction as being called wildlife here and we have large packs living in several areas that I enter. Historically there have been several attacks, but never in the areas I'm around. I walked up on the den site of a litter of pups sometime back and the pups quickly became agitated. I was as scared as anything I've ever been around and moved away quickly. Luckily I spotted the pack running back into the area when I was several hundred yards away. Since then I tried to get the pack used to me by leaving them a little food and staying close enough so maybe they will associate me with the food. A few months ago there was s stray dog in the area, he was sitting and barking at me and at about a hundred yards suddenly charged at me. After about twenty yards of running, the pack exploded from cover beside of it and commenced to a huge fight. I'm sure the pack responded to the stranger barking in their territory, but I sure thanked them for saving me a possible battle with a stray dog. I didn't stay around to watch the ending, I decided my day was done and left, but I haven't seen the stray again.

Sabyasachi Patra
09-15-2011, 02:05 AM
Another scary thread. It is tough if you are alone. It would be a good idea to have rope around your waist. Not sure how practical this idea is.

Peter Dexter
10-30-2011, 06:54 PM
I had a close call about six months ago. I was in Chocó Department in Colombia on the Pacific coast where it is mostly jungle and electricity is from generators. I'd gone for a jungle hike with the manager of the primitive guest lodge I was staying at and we decided to enter a bat cave along a creek. Inside we were resting against a rock shelf watching the bats when I noticed movement a meter away from me. Fine I thought I'll get a photo of a bat and maybe be able to identify it later. But it wasn't a bat. It was a Chocoan Bushmaster (Lachesis acrochorda) the most poisonous snake in Colombia because they grow to four meters and inject a huge amount of venom. You have about two hours before you're done for. My companion saw it and said we must get out of here now! I did get a quick photo, not very good because it's head was behind a rock formation but good enough of the body to confirm the identification later. I think what saved my skin was the fact that we made no sudden movements to startle it and very possibly it had recently eaten a bat and was lethargic. The lodge guy said he had antivenin back at the lodge but it was a two hour walk to get back, just about the time you'd have left on this planet if bitten.