PDA

View Full Version : Female avocet

allanrube
09-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I shot this bird about 5 miles north of where Jim Fenton shot the male avocet. As he mentioned these birds are not common on our coast and one wonders if the pair will get together.

Finding this bird was third on my list of morning priorities (first being the male which unfortunately was not around) so it was 10:30 before I got to this location in southern NH. Luckily, there was cloud cover.

D300s with 600 VR. 1/630 f/11 at iso 320. I removed a few spots in the water but chose to keep the contrast low. Also, I could have warmed it a bit but I like this color as it goes so well with the legs.

Randy Stout
09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Alan:

Sharp, well exposed, like angle in frame, that great upturned bill , soft light.

I would add just a sliver more canvas below for the virtual leg, and perhaps try to tone down/blur the small wavelet in front of the bird.

In looking at it again, maybe a sliver more on the right as well.

Cheers

Randy

Ben_Sadd
09-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I think the softer look and cooler temperature go well with the more subdued colours of this female bird. Agree about space below and to the right, but otherwise a nice image.

Bill Dix
09-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Beautiful shot, Allan. I love the subdued tonal quality, HA and raised foot. Nice sharpness and exposure. Randy's comp suggestion sounds good to me. Congrats on finding her.

ramesh anantharaman
09-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Wonderful angle aand shot. kind of a serene feeling to it. I too agree about the space but in all a brilliant shot

allanrube
09-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Will have to look at my raw file tomorrow. I don't think I have extra space on the bottom. I did take some off the left to move the bird off center.

Thanks for the comments.