PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Least Sandpiper.

Karl Egressy
09-10-2011, 05:37 PM
I took this picture last year in late August.
Will go back there in a couple of days, but I heard that the water level was high this year.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/500
Av 6.3
ISO Speed 400
EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Natural light early morning.

adrian dancy
09-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Sweet light...superb pose...delicate shot...lovely.

Karl Egressy
09-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Sweet light...superb pose...delicate shot...lovely.

Hey Adrian,
It is nice to hear from you.
Your posting brings back many great memories, associated with you guys at Birdforum.
I miss your great sense of humor and the great pictures you posted there. One day I should visit.
Thanks,
Karl.

gail bisson
09-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Very nice light and reflection. I would take a bit off the right as I find there is a bit too much space there. Do you have more room at the bottom as well to balance out space at top and bottom of photo? I like the head angle and IQ.
Gail

Karl Egressy
09-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Very nice light and reflection. I would take a bit off the right as I find there is a bit too much space there. Do you have more room at the bottom as well to balance out space at top and bottom of photo? I like the head angle and IQ.
Gail

Thanks Gail.
I do have room all around, that I can play with.
I posted it last year on NSN and was adviced to go with this crop, less space at the bottom that is, so I changed it.
I know everybody is slightly different when it comes to composition. That's the beauty of it.
It would be very boring to be identical.
However, I appreciate your critique as always.:S3:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-10-2011, 06:27 PM
I always question cropping with reflections as sometimes I find I have to break the rule of thirds rule with the subject for the right feel. I like the crop but would also like just a little room at the bottom. I love the light here as well as the feather detail.

adrian dancy
09-10-2011, 06:33 PM
You have come on well Karl...nice to see your images here.

Stu Bowie
09-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Karl, not a breath of wind, so you have yourself a perfect water surface to create an excellent reflection which you have done so well. Lovely warm colours on the sandpiper, and another vote for more space at the bottom. Sometimes, a vertical with a reflection works too.

Jonathan Ashton
09-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Excellent shot, I too would add a little space to the bottom of the image.

Craig Brelsford
09-11-2011, 07:34 AM
I'd create more space at the bottom if I didn't have it; also, to paraphrase Neil Young, "Spots . . . I keep seeing spots." I see one at 10 o'clock just above the back, one at noon, and two at 2 o'clock, one a bit off to the right.

Jim Fenton
09-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Love the lighting and the perfect stillness of the water / reflection.

I would like to see just a bit more on the bottom of the image...the reflection is perfect enough that I think this is cropped a bit too close.

A slightly better HA would have helped but it is lovely as presented.

Karl Egressy
09-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd create more space at the bottom if I didn't have it; also, to paraphrase Neil Young, "Spots . . . I keep seeing spots." I see one at 10 o'clock just above the back, one at noon, and two at 2 o'clock, one a bit off to the right.

Thank you.
Some people see spots, most people see and nice looking bird. (Just kidding)
Karl.

Karl Egressy
09-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Love the lighting and the perfect stillness of the water / reflection.

I would like to see just a bit more on the bottom of the image...the reflection is perfect enough that I think this is cropped a bit too close.

A slightly better HA would have helped but it is lovely as presented.

Thank you Sir.
I guess I should cave in as everybody suggests to add space to the bottom and re-compose the picture. :S3:
I have good enough space around, so I can do it very easy.

Daniel Cadieux
09-11-2011, 02:09 PM
When I get such strong reflections I tend to view the bird and reflection as one entity, and for that reason I feel like having a symmetrical composition (top to bottom) works best for me. See my Lesser Yellowlegs from earlier this week, which I deliberately composed in such a way. Your image would work just as well with that principle in mind, even as an horizontal. But yes, everyone is different so go with what you are most comfortable with.

Sweet, sweet light. You did a very good job with this little guy!! Very appealing image.

Karl Egressy
09-11-2011, 02:59 PM
When I get such strong reflections I tend to view the bird and reflection as one entity, and for that reason I feel like having a symmetrical composition (top to bottom) works best for me. See my Lesser Yellowlegs from earlier this week, which I deliberately composed in such a way. Your image would work just as well with that principle in mind, even as an horizontal. But yes, everyone is different so go with what you are most comfortable with.

Sweet, sweet light. You did a very good job with this little guy!! Very appealing image.

Thanks Daniel.
I'll post it on NSN tomorrow just the way you suggested and see what they will have to say.
Learning is a never ending process.

arash_hazeghi
09-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Excellent image Karl, love it. reflection is great!