PDA

View Full Version : South African Highveld Escarpment

Morkel Erasmus
09-10-2011, 12:38 PM
It seems a bit quiet here on the Landscape forum, so I thought I'd chime in with an image.

This was taken on the same hike as my previous image here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/88641-Unknown-Waterfall). This was on day 2 of the hike, and the rain cleared up just enough to allow a quick shot late in the morning.

I climbed onto a rock and asked my fellow hikers to hide behind the rocks so as to not have humans in the shot (something I don't like in landscape photography, some do and each to his own :bg3:). This was a handheld 3-exposure image which I merged with Photomatix Fusion (it gives a much more realistic blend than normal Photomatix HDR and works well for aligning images which might not have been perfectly shot ie handheld).

I just love the depth here and the array of colours and textures. I would love to do this hike again in the spring/summer. Having the aloe in front in bloom would have been nice too :Whoa!:.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f11 @ ISO-200

dankearl
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice detail and textures, Morkel, better sky would really look good, you need to go back.

Rachel Hollander
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Morkel - I agree with you that the depth here is great. I also like the layers of rock with the one rock sitting on top near the center. Interesting about Fusion vs. HDR.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
09-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Fusion works well.

Good use of lots of detail here to keep the viewer engaged in this image as the eye roams throughout. Composed well with a nice leading line left, right, left, right and left again leading to different elements in the image (rock left, plat right, rock left, peak right, BG left). This is also an s-curve.

Andrew McLachlan
09-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi Morkel, very nicely composed and love the fusion HDR. Looks great. As you mentioned it would have been great to get the aloe in bloom. Love the the rocks.

Morkel Erasmus
09-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for your comments Robert, Andrew, Rachel and Dan...I definitely need to go back here :Whoa!: