John_Nevill
01-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Captive Barn Owl taken last winter.

http://www.eos-images.com/images/Barn-Owl.jpg

1DN + EF 70-200, f/4, 1/3200, ISO 200 +0.7EV

Jim Neiger
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi John,

Nice job capturing this Owl in flight. I like th ein flight position with the downstroke wings. I also like the mix of cloud and blue inthe bg. The highlight areas of the image look overexposed with some detail loss.

Lana Hays
01-04-2008, 06:32 PM
John
You really have some nice opportunities for captive birds. Good job getting this guy in flight...you don't see many of those. I, too like the wing positions but think that the white are a bit hot. You might go back and check your RAW file to see if you can recover those highlights.......certainly worth it with this image.

Alfred Forns
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi John should be easy to get those highlights First I would try the multiply trick to see if it does the trick If not you can go to the RAW Love that pose More than worth working on Big Congrats !!!

John_Nevill
01-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks guys,

I must ask a question though, this my third image post and everyone has commented on my images having blown highlights. I use two calibrated Eizo LCD monitors at a brightness level of 120cdm. On my monitors there's plenty of detail in the highlights, so are you guys running higher brightness levels? Perhaps I should set them at 140 cdm.

Lana Hays
01-05-2008, 07:52 AM
John
I don't know the answer but I'll check on it for you.

Jimmie Campbell
01-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't go to much by a visual on the LCD for color values. What is the RGB value of your brightest white in the application your using to prepare the image (e.g. eye dropper in PS)? I try to keep my white values around 245 and my blacks at 10-15 for the web. What's yours? Are you maybe re-adjusting the brightness after you convert for the web or maybe saturation?