PDA

View Full Version : On Golden Pond - Mr. Woody

Randy Stout
09-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Sorry about the corny title, just couldn't resist.

Image taken two years ago in Cleveland. The water was very clean, unlike last year, and gave some very lovely backgrounds.

D700 500mm f/4 with 1.4 TC f/7.1 aperture priority -.7 EV Gitzo/ Wimberley

Post: Selective sharpening, 20% crop, minor water clean up.

I liked the angle in frame, and that his head didn't merge with the wings. Plus, gold and blue colors go well togethor :S3:

There are a lot of flying water drops that I left.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Chad Caswell
09-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Hi Randy,

Beautiful light and great timing getting his chest out fully and the wings spread back.:5

Not sure if the flying water drops add enough since they are so faint, I would consider the removal of them. Hey what time of year did you go, Early OCT? I may head over there this year, and you are so right about last year with the water being dirty, I heard rumors that they drained the pond prior and that didn't help with the woodie population either.

See you soon I'm sure.

Marina Scarr
09-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Great pose on this woodie and I love the angle of the head and wingflap...not to take anything away from that gold and the light here! I would leave in the water droplets. Although they are small and difficult to see, I don't believe they detract if you do see them, they add to the story. I would take some off the bottom.

Gary Esman
09-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Randy

Another good one...stop it:w3 Everything looks great from here but no purple patch. Keep them coming, getting pumped up to get some good shots this fall.

Gary.

Craig Brelsford
09-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Gotta love the pose and the golden light. Congratulations. I'm wondering what the effect would be if you gave your woodie some more room to look into left. I'd also consider cooling down the hot spot on the bill, perhaps by cloning in some of the red nearby.

Joe Senzatimore
09-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Light and pose are stunning as are the complimentery colors. Very sweet image.:cheers:

Herb Houghton
09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Nice exposure, sharp and clean BGD, Randy. I like the suggestion of giving some more room on woodie's left side, where he's looking into the frame.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Love the pose and colors. I really love when water reflects with those greatorange and blue tones.I'm with adding just a little room to the left as he almost feels too centeed to me.

Cody Covey
09-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Amazing Woody's being posted lately! If mine I think I would take some off the bottom but I also think it does work just fine as presented as well. Excellent colors on a bird that is very easy to blow whites or block blacks. Nice and sharp and a great background!

Randy Stout
09-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.

I left a bit more on the bottom, thinking that the weak reflection acted as a leading line, drawing the eye towards the bird. I do appreciate your point however.

Room to the left - well, it is true the birds body is rather centered, but I look at the extension of the wings, and the amount of space between the end of the primaries and the frame edge, and compare that to the space to the left, and felt the net effect was about right, but I will try a version the a bit more on that side. I have a little canvas left to work with.

Chad - I generally go down about mid Oct. Will go later this year because the water was so bad last year.

Thanks all!

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
09-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi Randy, nothing wrong with the title - even though its probably used fairly often to suit water colours as in this image. :w3 The wood duck seems to flapping proudly for you, and well timed to get the perfect wing position. Of course, the colours in the water puts this over the top.

noelle zaleski
09-11-2011, 04:25 AM
I really like this one Randy! I thing the water and BG really make this guy stand out. Not to mention he is giving you a great wing spread :S3:

Ofer Levy
09-11-2011, 05:09 AM
Fantastic capture!! Pose, techs, BG - all superb!

Dumay de Boulle
09-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Top class image all around!

Jim Fenton
09-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Love it as presented.

Lighting is just wonderful and all the techs are right on.

jealous.