PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your D3 sensor?

Jasper Doest
04-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm in dry dusty Texas at the moment and my Nikon D3 has one big sticky dust particle on the sensor..... I've cleaned Canon's 1.3x and 1.6x sensors in the past...but I'm not sure what I should use to clean the D3 sensor. Any suggestions as that dust particle is really something I'd like to get rid off while being here...it is right in the middle and way to big for my taste.

Thanks ahead!

Steve Ashton
04-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Jasper, they do seem to be a bit of a dust magnet, worse if anything than the 1Ds. I have been using the small lens pen with great results. Not yet done a wet clean as its not been needed but I will just use the eclipse fluid if needed. Good luck !!

Pete Woods
04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Wire Brush ;)

Alfred Forns
04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Jasper use the Lens Pen Works fine !!! Just like for any other sensor.

If you need further info let me know !!!

Jasper there is sensor cleaning thread below Lens Pen !!!

Art Peslak
04-02-2008, 08:08 AM
i use the lens pens with a sensor scope. I will note that it is somewhat more difficult to get into the corners of the D3 than the Canon cameras I used it with.

Robert O'Toole
04-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Make sure you use the small lens pen, and they also make a sensor pen (made by the same people), a small pen with a rounded triangle shaped head.

I would stay away from the wet method.

Robert

Alfred Forns
04-02-2008, 04:34 PM
.... If you get to the point you need the "wet method" might as well send it in for cleaning !!!

Jim Poor
04-02-2008, 05:10 PM
If you use the lens pen, don't forget to dab off the carbon first. There is a tutorial somewhere, but I can't find the link at the moment.

Robert O'Toole
04-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Good point Jim,

Arthur Morris / Birds as Art sends out detailed cleaning instructions when you buy a lens pen set or cleaning access, like the sensor scope.

Before you use a lens pen for the first time, dab the pen tip on a very clean surface to get any extra dry carbon compound off the tip.

Here is more info from the Lens Pen site FAQ (http://www.lenspen.com/404#4)

Why do LensPen and MiniPro leave a residue on my lenses after I clean them?
Excess cleaning compound might be left on the lens after cleaning. If this occurs, pat the tip on a clean chamois or a clean soft cloth to remove the excess compound from the cleaning tip. Pressurized air or a "blower brush" will also work to blow off any excess compound on the lens.

Why does LensPen leave a black mark on my finger, but not on the lens?
LensPen's cleaning compound is carbon based, similar to a pencil lead. It leaves black marks on all surfaces which are not very, very smooth.

Can I trust Lenspen?
Extensive testing of LensPen on expensive lenses and lens coatings has proven that the cleaning compound is safe to all lenses and coatings. The test results are available to you. They're about 17 pages in total.
Further, LensPen has been purchased by Minolta, Polaroid, Fuji, Carl Zeiss, and many other customers concerned with quality. These customers wouldn't have considered purchasing LensPen without testing and verifying on their own.

BTW I have been told that Canon buys lens pens in bulk!

Robert

Mike Dale
04-04-2008, 05:21 AM
If you are considering cleaning your D3/D300 sensor using any sort of fluid read this first.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/indium-tin-oxide-sensor-cleaning.html

The original Eclipse fluid could cause damage, you need the newer Eclipse E2 fluid for these cameras.

Cheers

Robert O'Toole
04-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Interesting link Mike thanks,

Sounds like one more reason to stay away....far away from the wet method.

As Alfred recommended earlier, if a lens pen will not get a spot off the sensor it would be best to have the sensor cleaned by factory service. I have only seen this case 2 times in 6 years of using the lens pen method.

Robert

George DeCamp
04-05-2008, 11:59 AM
I have an old (well not that old...a couple yrs or so) sensor brush and a Giotto rocket blower I use. I have yet to use the brush but the rocket blower has taken care of the dust so far. I suppose one day I will need more then just a blast of air. I do have some Eclipse E2 I purchased but that is for last resort stuff.