PDA

View Full Version : Barn Swallow Feeding 2

Kurt Bowman
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I meant to post a different shot from this series and didn't realize I posted the same shot as I did a few days ago...however, it was requested to post a larger version, so I guess this is it. I didn't see a way to delete the post and start over or replace the image.

1D MIV
500mm f/4
1/1250 at f/8
ISO 320

Richard Stern
09-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi Kurt,

To me that's a fabulous image, with everything sharp as it should be, slight motion blur to the wings, and the adult's wing almost cradling the youngster. Nice catchlights. Well done!

Richard

Craig Kerr
09-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Love the interaction between adult and chick, good detail were it counts with a nice neutral background... Nice one !!

Tom Redd
09-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Kurt - Well done! Captured at the right second. These guys can really move. You got close, were you in a blind? just curious. TFS

Kurt Bowman
09-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the comments. Tom, I actually wasn't. I find if you approach Swallows slowly (take a shot, then take a few steps, repeat, then repeat, etc.) they seem to be pretty friendly and acclimated to people and eventually you will be mere feet from them. I remember once I could almost tech out and touch one shot of a swallow I took a few months back using this technique.

Tom Redd
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Thank you Kurt. I checked your website and I think some of the swallow shots you have there are even better than the one you have posted here. Excellent.

Arthur Morris
09-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Kurt, You could have removed the attached image and uploaded another one :). Nice timing and interesting feeding behavior, but.... Both birds have their heads angled slightly away from us and sharpest focus seems to be on the head of the rear bird. EXP and framing good.

Kurt Bowman
09-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks Artie, I looked for a way to delete it and didn't see it...not sure why. Couldn't find it. Thanks for the critique and right, both birds are looking at each other. I think if they were both looking at the lens in a feeding shot, that would look quite strange :), thanks for your opinion. I am not one of those that subscribes to the theory that every shot has to have a checklist it must meet. I believe each image may or may not contain certain elements based on what the image is trying to achieve. I don't mean any disrespect by this and always appreciate honesty, but I often feel people have a checklist and that every shot must meet those requirements.

Arthur Morris
09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks Artie, I looked for a way to delete it and didn't see it...not sure why. Couldn't find it. Thanks for the critique and right, both birds are looking at each other. I think if they were both looking at the lens in a feeding shot, that would look quite strange :), thanks for your opinion. I am not one of those that subscribes to the theory that every shot has to have a checklist it must meet. I believe each image may or may not contain certain elements based on what the image is trying to achieve. I don't mean any disrespect by this and always appreciate honesty, but I often feel people have a checklist and that every shot must meet those requirements.

Hi Kurt, The incoming bird is positioned slightly to the right of the juvenile. Thus, the juvenile is looking to its left and away from us. With any luck, the adult could have come in to the right of the young bird which would then have looked to its left. In no way did I suggest that either bird be looking at us.... Do I have a checklist? I never thought of it that way but I guess I do as I check each image for exposure, sharpness, composition and image design, background, distracting elements, drama, interest, and yes, head angles.

I do not understand on what you mean when you write, "each image may or may not contain certain elements based on what the image is trying to achieve..." as images cannot try to achieve anything. They are just images. Furthermore, a checklist is not a list of requirements so that mention also confuses me. Your comments above seem defensive on one hand while welcoming an honest critique on the other hand.... Lastly, I try to critique each image as if it were my own.

Kurt Bowman
09-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Artie, I do feel like sometimes people have a checklist and which to me is a good "starting point" for critiques, but sometimes I feel people use them as black and white rules. I was simply stating that opinion, because I sort of feel it is done on several photo sites and felt like you applied that logic to my shot. I was not feeling defensive, but I simply disagreed with your comment and made an observation. However, it sure seems you are being defensive based on your reply. Last I checked, this was a forum which is a place for opinions. You stated yours, I heard it, disagreed and now it seems that you feel I don't have the right to disagree with it and state mine.

Arthur Morris
09-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Artie, I do feel like sometimes people have a checklist and which to me is a good "starting point" for critiques, but sometimes I feel people use them as black and white rules. I was simply stating that opinion, because I sort of feel it is done on several photo sites and felt like you applied that logic to my shot. I was not feeling defensive, but I simply disagreed with your comment and made an observation. However, it sure seems you are being defensive based on your reply. Last I checked, this was a forum which is a place for opinions. You stated yours, I heard it, disagreed and now it seems that you feel I don't have the right to disagree with it and state mine.

Both of your comments are totally vague. Just what are you disagreeing with? What do you mean by I applied that logic to your shot? What logic?

Kurt Bowman
09-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Now you are calling my comments vague because you all the sudden can't understand them? You sure seemed to understand it when you replied the first time. I really am not going to take the time to repeat myself.

How about I just stop posting on your forum and call it a day? Especially if this is how you treat your paying CUSTOMERS to this forum if they disagree with your comments.

Arthur Morris
09-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Now you are calling my comments vague because you all the sudden can't understand them? You sure seemed to understand it when you replied the first time. I really am not going to take the time to repeat myself. How about I just stop posting on your forum and call it a day? Especially if this is how you treat your paying CUSTOMERS to this forum if they disagree with your comments.

Kurt, Honestly, I have been trying to both understand what you mean and trying to help you. If you let me know exactly what I said that you disagree with, I would be glad to continue to try and help (in a bit more peaceful manner).

Raul Padilla
09-11-2011, 06:46 PM
i like the great moment, i like this forum, like no other, unique.

Raymond Barlow
09-12-2011, 11:10 PM
really well done, congrats!

Arthur Morris
09-13-2011, 04:17 AM
really well done, congrats!

Raymond, If you like an image, please let us know why. We work hard here to avoid becoming just another "Great Shot" forum.