PDA

View Full Version : Waiting to pounce (Crab Spider)

Daniel Cadieux
09-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I found a cool Crab Spider last weekend at my folks' cottage. It was clinging underneath some Goldenrod flowers and pretty much hidden from view, so using a small twig I gently coaxed it onto a better spot for this photo session. Once there it only took a few minutes for it to assume its typical "ambush" pose...these guys mean business!

I do wish for more room below...man I need to get some clamps to hold the stems steady from the wind!! I also may create a version with more cropping above, to just below the yellowish spot at top center.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro, 1/200s., f/7.1, ISO 800, 580 EX II flash @ -1 FEC, handheld, cropped for composition (about 75% FF).

bhavya joshi
09-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Nice One Denial.. I like your composition.. nice detail and DOF also.. Just reduce the Noise..overall Nice Macro..

Steve Maxson
09-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Daniel. I love crab spiders - they provide a lot of great photo opportunities and I'm always on the lookout for them. You captured a classic pose with excellent sharpness around the eyes and face. Nice job with the flash - it doesn't have that "flashed" look at all. The comp works for me, as presented, though I can see where the alternatives you suggested would also work well. To my eye, the spider and flowers have a slight greenish caste - you might want to tweak the color balance. This is very well done!

John Storjohann
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi Daniel. Steve nailed it in his comments about the image; wonderful sharpness, great pose, good lighting, nice composition...and, to my eye as well, a slight greenish caste that I noticed particularly in the legs and body of the spider. I do think the crop from the top that you mentioned would strengthen the composition, but it stands on its own merit as well. Nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
09-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Looks just fine to me, the interest lies with the spider, a little of the top maybe but no big deal. I don't see any significant noise to worry about either. The thing that really gets my attention are those eyes.