PDA

View Full Version : Ruff

Richard Unsworth
09-08-2011, 12:59 PM
:S3:

Captured at WWT reserve near my place.

Back in the winter I had taken a fair few images of these but had not processed them all; due to bad weather I was sorting old images and found this one!

(Actually I now realise has been posted by me before , however now reprocessed; please excuse - I did search to check but this one had a different title lol)

some who missed it may enjoy anyways

40 D 100-400 @320 1/100 f 6.3 ISO 800
Eye dropper set black/white in levels, NR by Topaz, USM to sharpen

Taken from hide using window ledge for support; I didnt get a tripod for Christmas :Whoa!:

Simon Wantling
09-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Great photo Richard. Really like the reflection. Out of interest, how far was the bird away when you took the image.?

Simon

Richard Unsworth
09-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Hi Simon

Exif reports subject distance as 8.4 metres; relatively minor crop from the lhs

thanks for posting

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Richard, splendid image. great BG and sharp details with good exposure. loved the reflection as well. Well done.

Randy Stout
09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Richard:

The bird is quite nice, sharp, well exposed. I really like the BG, but it's brightness does compete for our attention vs. the bird.

There is a halo around the top,rear of head, a small sensor spot in the BG to the right of the head, and a small defect in the water about 1/2 along the back.

I might try a version with the luminosity of the BG toned down a bit, perhaps with a multiply layer, low opacity.

Cheers

Randy

Kurt Bowman
09-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I really find myself enjoying the dreamy BG on this quite a bit, but as a result as Randy said, it does compete with the bird. Agree with the nits already mentioned, but looks like another dust spot on the left about half way up and 1/2 inch from the edge. I do have to say all around, i really find the image pleasing though.

Arthur Morris
09-08-2011, 05:12 PM
I like the bird and the high key water BKGR especially the lighter whiter parts. Needed a bit more head turn towards you.

Randy Stout
09-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Richard:

I am home and had time to do a quick selection on the bird and run a multiply layer (70%) on the water to see how the rebalancing of luminosity effected the image. I think it gives it a nice 3D effect and highlights the bird, while maintaing the best parts of the BG, the cloud like lighter patches.

Just an option.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
09-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I like em both but still need a head turn :)

Alan Murphy
09-08-2011, 07:54 PM
A species i'd like to get my lens on. Love the detail. Wish for more room for the virtual feet.

Richard Unsworth
09-09-2011, 04:27 AM

Nice job Randy; I need to read up and work on some processing and its great to get these tips from everyone.

They are indeed lovely birds, and not common here either; I have seen one male in semi breeding plumage ie with a partial Ruff absolutely amazing.
Apparently they dance in leks as well!

Nice to hear from you again Artie. Hopefully this winter they will be back

I do have some more pics that I am working on from this encounter

thanks so far:wave:

Raul Padilla
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
i like the etereal look, i agreed with a small head turn