PDA

View Full Version : Brown bear in brutal conditions

D. Robert Franz
09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
This image was captured a few days ago on the coast of Cook Inlet in Alaska's Lake Clark N.P. Hurricane force wind was blowing clouds of stinging sand down the beach. The wind was so severe I saw a gust nearly knock over a bear but my hardy group persisted and we were rewarded with unique imagery.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Copyright: D. Robert & Lorri Franz
Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: 4
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +2/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 640
Lens: 500mm

DanWalters
09-07-2011, 08:08 PM
That is very unique. Really adds a sense of mystery to the image.

Steve Canuel
09-07-2011, 11:28 PM
The perfect amount of definition on the bear for me. Also nice to have the separation of the four limbs. Heck of a gust to almost knock over a bear :eek3:.

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2011, 02:41 AM
This is sublime imagery Dale!! Love the feel of the shot and the emotion you get of imagining the animals in these situations.
:5:cheers::5
I am wondering if a slight boost in contrast/blacks would enhance it as presented? (not that it needs 'enhancement' per se - merely thinking out loud :w3

Robert Amoruso
09-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Very unique image Dale. I would agree with Morkel additional tweaks with levels and/or curves adjustments would enhance the look of the bear.

Brendon Cremer
09-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Great image and lovely mood created, agree a little work in curves will put this over the top:w3

D. Robert Franz
09-08-2011, 07:55 AM
This is very true to what I saw... I did quite a bit in curves just to get here. There was blinding sand and this portrays the scene with accuracy.

Rachel Hollander
09-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Dale - very dramatic and unusual image. Hope the sand didn't damage anyone's equipment.

TFS,
Rachel

D. Robert Franz
09-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Dale - very dramatic and unusual image. Hope the sand didn't damage anyone's equipment.

TFS,
Rachel

Unfortunately one camera failed and needs to go back to Nikon

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2011, 03:44 PM
This is very true to what I saw... I did quite a bit in curves just to get here. There was blinding sand and this portrays the scene with accuracy.

Fair enough...like I said...love it as is and it was merely a suggestion :bg3:...
Did you guys wear any additional protective clothing against the sandblasting?

D. Robert Franz
09-08-2011, 03:58 PM
No problem Morkel.... We all had on good raingear , we just pulled up our hoods and kept our backs into the wind.. It was not at all fun but with only one day left we toughed it out. Well known german photog Ingo Arndt was there but they hid like wimps in a boat cabin :2eyes2: I told my group we had to tough it out as long as Ingo.....:bg3: At times I was shooting with my eyes closed....often do my best work that way...