PDA

View Full Version : Photokit Photo Sharpener

David Wilson
04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I've been using this software for a few days on a trial basis and like it. The trial period was expiring so I went and bought it. After entering the serial number, however, the software won't activate. I've tried deleting the plug-in and reinstalling but no matter how I try it, photoshop (CS3) keeps coming up with the "press activate" button and then tells me I can't activate. I tried loading the trial version on my laptop then entering the serial number there and get to the same point. I've probably checked the entering of the serial number 20 times and, for the laptop, cut and paste it from the receipt I got from Pixel Genius.

I've sent them an e-mail asking for clarification but have no idea what sort of response I'll get. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing it - ie Is this normal - is it merely it takes x hours for the serial number to be in the system to allow it to activate?

After spending two hours last night trying to get it to work rather than getting some images worked on for a project I have to finish, I'm trying to avoid another wasted evening tonight!

Thanks

David Wilson
04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Never mind - I've got a reply from Pixel Genius which will hopefully fix the problem. Seems I need to clean out a registry file.

Robert Amoruso
04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I use this software and the fact that Pixel Genesis still has not gotten its act together and solved this problem is disgusting. Has to do with Vista and the protection/activation system they use. I have had to download an update to activate/re-activate it. A real shame for a good product to get a black eye from such shoddy customer service.

Hope this fixes the problem.

David Wilson
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
[quote=Robert Amoruso;61534]IHas to do with Vista and the protection/activation system they use.
quote]

I;m using XP so it seems like the problem is spreading!

Robert Amoruso
04-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks David. I did not have a problem on the my XP computers so perhaps it is a different issue. As of a month ago, I still had problems with Vista install so that is not solved either.

David Wilson
04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
I'll keep you posted once I get the chance to try the fixes they suggest tonight. At least the e-mail response time wasn't too bad (message sent at 9.30pm pacific time, reply received at 4.40am pacific) - a consolation maybe but I've certainly seen far worse and it surpassed my expectations!

Fabs Forns
04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
My friend Judy bought the product and it would not install on an iMac CS3, She contacted them, and with their support, she was able to make it work. Their support was and has been fine.

David Wilson
04-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Got it working last night without too much trouble in the end. Deleted the registry entries to be sure then needed to install the updated "esellerrate.net" installer and then redownloaded the plug-in and installed without any problem. Seems that the problem is with the eSeller install enginge so while Pixel Genius itself isn't the problem, the on-line selling engine they are using to complete transactions with buyers is causing a problem. They at least seem to be aware of the problem based on the standard e-mail response I got to my cry for help and the reply came quickly so the customer service part of Pixel Genius doesn't get a black mark from me. What does get the black mark is that the web site says nothing about this being a potential problem beforehand. If I had been informed of this beforehand (ie the need to have the latest install enging loaded - who knew?) it would have saved me most of the evening messing around redownloading and reinstalling the plug-in all to no avail, finally deciding to send an e-mail to their support (no ability to call and talk with someone and limited problem solving capabilities via their FAQ), waiting overnight for the answer then going back to fix it.

Love the product and am glad I got it - just wish it hadn't been such a pain. At least now I know when I come to install it on my new, currently being built, system.

Robert Amoruso
04-02-2008, 03:08 PM
My friend Judy bought the product and it would not install on an iMac CS3, She contacted them, and with their support, she was able to make it work. Their support was and has been fine.

I agree Fabiola, once you get them involved, you get it installed. They are helpful and responsive. I should have mentioned that in my original post.

But, to have these problems installing the product is not acceptable and should have been solved by now. IMO, this is a blunder for them and turns people off to an otherwise fantastic product. My number one sharpening utility which is why I go through the trouble to get it on my Vista computer.

Alfred Forns
04-02-2008, 03:40 PM
On the Mac side is sort of crazy I was able to install on my desktop but not on the laptop Both have the same new processor !!!!