PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Sanderling portrait (and my first posted image with my new (to me) F4 500mm

gail bisson
09-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I am so happy with my new lens! I have had it for a week but didn't get a chance to use it until yesterday. I sat very quietly on the beach and let several sanderlings approach me. After I took this picture 2 of the sanderlings walked between me and the tripod. Very cool!
Canon 7D
f 4.0 500mm with 1.4x
ISO 800
SS 1/1250
F 6.3
ONLY cropped for composition...No more huge crops for me!!:bg3:
Taken at our beach in Ingonish ,Cape Breton at ~ 7:00AM
PP in LR3 and specular highlight removed from bill in CS5. NR done as well on BG
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Congrats on the new lens Gail, I can imagine you were smiling wide like in your avatar when you received it!! Looks like you are getting used to it already too. Super sharpeness on the face. Good exposure with nice early morning light. I like the drop build-up at bill tip. Perfect HA for this back view. Comp-wise I'd prefer either a bit more off the left, or a bit more canvas at bottom and right if you have it.

Looking forward to more with that lens!!:S3:

dankearl
09-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Very nice Gail, detail and sharpness are superb.
Your photos were really nice before, if this is the start, you are going to
really shine here.
I like how you can almost see a reflection in the eye, well done.

Aidan Briggs
09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Congrats on the 500! The light and detail here are great. I might run a low pass of NR on the background. I like the comp but agree with Daniel that it could use a bit more room at the bottom.

Have fun with your new lens!

gail bisson
09-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Here is a repost with more NR on BG and more space added to bottom and right. I really suck when it comes to cropping for comp so thank you for the help. It does look better,
Gail

John Chardine
09-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Gail (and fellow Maritimer!)- Love it. The warm light is wonderful, and I really enjoy intimate portraits like this. I like the tightness of the original myself.

Melissa Groo
09-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I like the intimacy of the first post too. Gorgeous light and details. Congrats on your new lens, how exciting!! You're already doing it justice.

Sidharth Kodikal
09-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Excellent close up, Gail. Nice light, exposure and sharpness.
The repost is nice with the comp and the NR. I see a bit of halo above the bill on my laptop.
Congrats on your new toy!

James Prudente
09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Terrific image Gail, it looks like the lens fits you well.

Cheers,

Jim

Troy Lim
09-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I could not decided which one is better. Perhaps one in btw?
Repost has too much OOF body that distract the focus on the head turn. #1 is more intimate. Great shot and congrats on the lens!

Robert Holguin
09-07-2011, 12:02 AM
First off congrats on your new lense. Second - superb shot. Great head angle and the detail is just amazing. Well done.

Richard Unsworth
09-07-2011, 12:28 AM
:S3:

Great shot Gail, the face detail is lovely, and you have used the lens perfectly
IQ is obviously not compromised on that glass. Lokk forward to more as has been said you did good before so now what!

gail bisson
09-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Thank you all for your kind words!
Gail

christopher galeski
09-07-2011, 05:09 AM
very nice image,good detail,nice light,congrats on getting your new lens.thanks.

Ofer Levy
09-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Excellent sharpness on the head, sweet soft light and colours. Here is another version which I feels works nicley - cropped off the top and sides. WDYT?

Bill Dix
09-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Congrats on the lens!!! This will take your already fine work up another notch. Great head detail. I personally like the OP, but could see a tad off the left with an equal amount added on the right. Pane 5 has too much oof body for me. Ofer's repost also works for me, since it accentuates the beautiful head detail.

Craig Brelsford
09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Ofer's crop does your work justice. Your shot is a story of sunlight kissing the head (but not the OOF body) of the sanderling. I love how you captured the sunlight on the head.

Stu Bowie
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Congrats on your new lens Gail, and may you continue to produce more images like this one. Im going with Dan regarding the comp, and just love the light in this.

Dumay de Boulle
09-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Congrats on the new lens...Nice detail Gail!

Jim Crosswell
09-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Congratulations on the new lens! I like the details and Ofers repost.

Ron Sprunger
09-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Wonderful shot. I prefer the OP but can't go wrong with either repost. I fell in love with that lens when I rented it in April. Wishing you a long and productive partnership.