PDA

View Full Version : Savannah roofline

Cheryl Slechta
09-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I've got to sort through some images with plants, etc. displaying geometric shapes for the theme but I had this older image taken in Savannah that I thought would work. I played around with different Topaz B&W filters and ended up using Adaptive Diffusion with Color and then B&W Eggplant. I used Simplify for a creative effect on the B&W eggplant conversion. I considered cropping from the bottom to eliminate the shadows but decided I liked them there.
Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated:S3:

Brendan Dozier
09-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Good choice of image for the theme, Cheryl. Your framing and color tone treatment help to focus on the nice combination of geometric shapes and lines. Creates an interesting graphic design that keeps the eye exploring. I like the balance of both triangles between the zig zag line in the middle, and the blemishes here and there along the walls help to break things up a bit. Strong design as is, but wondering how it would look if you lightened the dark wall just a bit and tried to bring out some of the blemishes in that area more, but still keep it fairly dark. Just an idea, may or may not work.

John Storjohann
09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi Cheryl;

This is something different for you...and there's a lot going on in this image. Your eye travels up the "stair case"...back down the diagonals...through the textures and shadows....very cool mix of lines, shadows, and subtle details. It would be interesting to see a color deeper tone to this...I'm not sure, I'd have to see it to know...it's an intriguing image, and nicely done!

Indranil Sircar
09-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Beautiful composition, Cheryl. I too like the "stair case" and how it splits the image in two part. The duotone is very effective and gives a warm feeling. Nicely done.

Kerry Perkins
09-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Hi Cheryl, this image is perfect for the theme! Really nice collection of geometric patterns and lines. The image has an abstract quality to it as well, which I really enjoy. Good show!

denise ippolito
09-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Cheryl, I might crop some off the bottom and top if it were mine but I understand you don't want to. :S3:You did a great job with the filter. Isn't it fun? This is well seen and an image most would walk away from but you did a great job with it.

Anita Bower
09-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Great choice for the theme! You have so many different shapes here, and they are so clear--rectangles, lines (horizontal, vertical, diagonal), triangles. The tones you chose are lovely. I wonder if the balance between the bright, sharp area in to LL third could be better balanced with the softer, darker UR third. Very well seen and captured.

Jay Sheinfield
09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Cheryl, Very cool filter effect. Must try this one........Another vote for a bit off the top, making the chimney even more prominent. Clever! Agree...well seen! This would be on my wall, if it were mine.

Maureen Allen
09-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Nice one, Cheryl! There's so much to see here. Warm but bleak and tired at the same time. I too would like to see the dark wall brightened just a bit. And I wonder how it would look with the sky toned down a little. Really interesting image!

Cheryl Slechta
09-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Here's a crop from the top. I wanted to leave the dark wall kind of as a yin/yang - dark/light, lines/shapes, etc.:S3: