PDA

View Full Version : Dahlia's, part 2

dankearl
09-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Another from the Dahlia farm, Again the BG is acres of Dahlia's.

1/1600
f3.5
200mm (70-200vrII w/ CP)
iso200
Handheld

DSC_1112nx.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99920&stc=1&d=1315279883)

John Storjohann
09-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi Dan;

It looks like you had a great day at the Dahlia farm. Beautiful colors...if it were mine, I'd crop the left side of the image to just where the unopened bloom hovers over the primary bloom..and I'd evict the stem coming from the center of that primary bloom. You have a wonderful triangle in the composition on the RHS, and this would tighten the composition up a bit. I'm envious...I think I could get lost all day in a field like that! I look forward to seeing more.

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2011, 11:46 AM
What great looking flowers, and all in great condition! Tough to compose with so many flowers without going in tighter. As is I like John's idea of eliminating the stem shooting upwards from the central bloom. I could also do without the close bud directly in lower left corner, and would prefer the bloom in lower right corner to be included in full. A wonderful deluge of colours though, and I love the purple BG at top. pretty cool.

Roman Kurywczak
09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Hey Dan,
Great observations above so can't really add but this shows just how difficult it is to shoot in these conditions even when you have great subjects! Do they let you use a tripod......or a plamp? If they let you you should invest in a few spring loaded clothespins to keep a few stray elements out. My bet is they don't......but if they do you should go for it!

dankearl
09-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
This flower stuff is harder than I thought!
Roman, you can use tripods although you are on small grass paths and cannot enter the flower rows at all, so you have to shoot
and compose what you can. I thought it was easier to shoot handheld. As you can imagine, trying to isolate a few in a field of thousands is difficult.
I took lots of shots, the real nice thing is the bokehs you get in fields that large.
I don't have a real macro lens, so taking 200mm shots with the 70-200f2.8 is the best thing
I have to use to get those bokehs.

Roman Kurywczak
09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey Dan,
I figured they wouldn't let you waltz around too much:w3......try taking a 20mm tube or even a few if they let you use the tripod.....may help when working it! I think if you can isolate 1 or 3 against that BG.....you'll blast it out of the park and the tube may help there.

Steve Maxson
09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Dan. I'm late to the party as I've been away at a macro workshop. Excellent suggestions above on the comp and good ideas from Roman on technique. I would get sensory overload in a place like this. :S3:

Bob Miller
09-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Dan....great suggestions above! If this were mine I think I would brighten up things just a bit esp the main blossom!