PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Joel Eade
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I will probably be gunned down by the HA police but I was purposely positioning the flashes and my camera to capture the iridescence on the back of these little jewels.
1D3
300mm f/2.8L + 25 mm ext. tube
1/125
f/14
ISO 800
4 flashes : one 580 EXII on camera with better beamer, three 430 EXII's remotely triggered with pocket wizards, all set to 1/32 output in manual mode

removed the extra catchlights and cropped to remove the feeder.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Geez no guns for me . I love the light and reflective metallic colors you got. I really like the light on the wing too.

Melissa Groo
09-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I can hear them loading their rifles now but no guns over here either. I think this is a wonderful capture that I would be happy to have. You have really frozen the motion there and given a wonderful view of the irridescence on the back, which can really only be seen when they are looking away (with rare exception)! So an important view to have in your files. Beautiful detail and sharpness.

Randy Stout
09-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Joel:

Works for me too. You beautifully captured what you set out to do.

Only minor issue for me is the catchlight. Our brains expect them to be above the mid line. Might consider moving it in a version to see how it looks to you.

Cheers

Randy

Mack Hicks
09-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I agree with the comments already made. I don't mind the head angle, works well with female hummers without a gorget to illuminate. While I don't mind the black BG, I prefer an illuminated BG, knowing it takes more flashes/strobes and makes you use an artificial BG or placing your feeder in an area where you get a good blurred natural background.