PDA

View Full Version : eBay scam

John Chardine
09-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Have a look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110739910529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6590wt_994

Too good to be true and clearly a scam so I emailed the supposed eBay top rated seller with 100% rating and told him how much the lens was really worth, and this is the response I got:

Hello ,
Thank you for showing interest in my auction. As you saw my BUY IT NOW price for this item is $1800 (shipping charges are included in the BIN price ).For a fair deal i want this transaction to be handled by eBay because they will offer protection to both of us and at the end of this transaction we will be able to exchange feedback.What you see in the auction is what you will receive at your door , i will also offer you 14 Days Return Policy so you can inspect the item that you will purchase from me , in case you are not satisfied you can return it back on my cost and you will get a full refund in the same day .

If you are ready to buy this item now , please provide me your full name and address so i can submit your Offer through eBay and reques them to register our deal in their system .
Thanks

This was the wrong answer to my email, the last sentence being the clincher.

What gets me is how someone can masquerade as a top eBay seller with a 100% rating on 3283 transactions, and then try to get away with something like this. Thoughts?

I'm going to report this to eBay for what little good it will do.

John Chardine
09-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Reported this to eBay and the add is already taken down. Now to have his Gmail address removed.

Roger Clark
09-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi John,

So what was it he was trying to sell?

Roger

John Chardine
09-05-2011, 08:19 PM
It was a new 400DO for a buy it now price of $1800!

I see that the legitimate eBayer who was apparently listing this item was also listing other "electronics" items and they have all been taken down either by eBay or the hacker. I guess it was a case of an eBay member's account being hacked.

Marina Scarr
09-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I saw that on there yesterday and was wondering how the heck I would ever get a fair price for mine if they were going for $1800 on ebay. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering why I didn't see it up there this evening.

John Chardine
09-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Hi Marina- Did you make a note of who was listing the DO? Last time "Treekiller20" was listing it. I suspected that this eBay seller had had his/her eBay store hacked but I sent them a note about it and got no response so I'm a bit suspicious. If we can nail down the consistent seller we could report to eBay (for all its worth because I'm not sure they do much about things like this).