PDA

View Full Version : Photo "studio" colours and lighting

John Chardine
09-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I am in the process of converting a small 10' x 9' room in my house into a mini-studio. I'll use the room for computer processing, printing, laying out prints and equipment storage.

Could anyone out there advise on paint colours and lighting for this room. It has one 5' x 3' window for natural light, facing north east. I'm thinking neutral but not sure if I should white or light grey (18%?) walls. Also I haven't got a clue what to do for lighting. Any advice would be appreciated.

Andrew Merwin
09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
If it were me, I would paint the walls 18% grey & install full spectrum lights. Regardless of what you choose, I think it needs to be neutral to avoid color cast. I think white would be too reflective.

Hilary Hann
09-06-2011, 02:24 AM
At the lab I used to work at, for a while everything was painted 18% grey but the staff mood became 18% grey as well. I left there 20 years ago but noticed that now the walls are all white, but they pay particular attention to the lighting used. I can't give the specifics but could get them if you wanted. My office is very unregulated and I work with open windows, mixed lighting, strange wall paints and have much more fun. But I'm not producing commercial work which needs to match specific colours and sometimes I think my clients are a bit colour blind which is quite handy. :w3

Anyway, let me know if you would like me to get a more precise opinion on wall colour and lighting, unless someone chimes in here with better information.

John Chardine
09-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Thanks Andrew and Hilary. I have a feeling 18% grey would be too dark but a lighter, neutral grey is the way to go I think. Any information on type of lighting and the bulbs used would be useful.

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't worry about that too much. Avoid black or bright neon or flashy colours on the walls and ceiling and you should be fine IMO. Just decorate the room in a way that you would be happy and comfortable. I know I wouldn't be too cheerful working in a dull 18% grey room, unless the walls had nice colourful prints hung on them:S3:

John Chardine
09-06-2011, 08:17 AM
I agree Daniel. I don't think it will make much difference. It's just that right now I literally have a carte blanche in the room so I thought it was a good opportunity to investigate this.

Roger Clark
09-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi John,

I don't think print display or print checking studio and photo editing on a computer monitor really go together. One needs a relatively dark room for photo editing on a computer while the other needs a very bright room for print checking. As far as reviewing prints, they should be reviewed in the same lighting in which they will be displayed. For example, home incandescent (or now compact CF) lighting versus bright fluorescent office lighting versus gallery (with spot) lighting all produce different effects and prints should be balanced differently for each.

I do my photo work in my home office in which has dark red cherry wood panels and white ceiling, but most of the walls are covered by books in bookcases. I use relatively dim lights while editing to minimize ambient light on the screen. I evaluate prints mostly outside my office.

So as far as color of walls, it doesn't matter much if the ambient/reflected light is low. Make it pleasant (I would not choose gray).

Roger

John Chardine
09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Good advice Roger. Thank you. I think I can accomplish both tasks in the same room.

ChrisBenge
09-29-2011, 10:09 AM
I would cover the window with room darkening shades to provide control of your lighting. This will also prevent a mix of color temperatures. Use a photographic lighting kit to appropriately light your subjects. Having absolute control over the lighting will give you the best results. I wouldn't worry too much about the room wall color, use a backdrop for your pictures.