PDA

View Full Version : Dahlia's

dankearl
09-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Taken this morning at the largest Dahlia farm in the US.
The Bokeh is 40 acres (at least) of Dahlia's.

1/640
f4.5
200mm (70-200vrII w/ CP)
ISO 100
Handheld

DSC_1119nx.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99852&stc=1&d=1315172015)

John Storjohann
09-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Dan, that must be quite the sight to see. With two large blooms competing in the image, my eye doesn't have a place to anchor it...you could almost make two separate compositions here. If it were mine, I'd be tempted to crop one tall and thin (RHS) and the other crop could include the left bloom and the two adjoining stalks. I'd be tempted to brighten the two blooms a bit to bring out some additional shadow detail and to add a bit of depth...and burning the small orange circle to the lower right of the RHS bloom...and maybe taking a sliver off the top. There's a LOT of potential in this image...and it's your vision. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

dankearl
09-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks, John, sort of new to flower photography and I did break the rule of "evens", I realize.
I will try another, I think it is interesting to do.

Roman Kurywczak
09-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Hey Dan,
I love the BG but like John I feel there is too much going on.....mostly on the RH side as the one bloom is clipped. I still think you can make this work by lightening the LH bloom and bud and eliminating the bud on the bottom of the frame below them. Then a crop eliminating the RH bud and bloom......not my favorite proportions.....but works better flow wise for me. In the field giving extra attention to those elements will go a long way. That must be some place!!!

Dave Woeller
09-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Some excellent thoughts above and I'll agree with them. These buds have a beautiful color and detail to them and I can see why you were drawn to them. I'd love to see that field :S3:

Bob Miller
09-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Dan....beautiful colors in blossoms and bg! I would lighten the entire image and try out some of the crops noted above....esp removing the lower bud that cuts the border.