PDA

View Full Version : Silverton Hostel, Welcome!

Jay Sheinfield
09-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Slight Orton Effect, color work, shadow relief, and a bit of grunge. Orton effect layer, the rest was all pen applied. Hope you like it..............

John Storjohann
09-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Jay this is wonderful...great detail, beautiful, soft muted colors...the diagonal line of the steps and wall drawing your eye up through the image...good use of your DOF...and all those minute little details..the grass growing up through the cracks in the grass, the grain in the wood, the washtub at the used as a flower pot...good stuff! If it were mine..I'd probably brighten it just a smidge..but that's a matter of taste and vision...and I might give a little more room beneath the closest side panel of the wooden steps at the bottom of the image..beautiful work!

Anita Bower
09-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Very nice! Love the colors and details. The diagonal lines are strong. Having just read that our next theme is geometrical, I thought this might fit the bill. What do you mean by "the rest was all pen applied?"

Brendan Dozier
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Nicely seen and composed, Jay, and great job on the processing to enhance the color and detail. Well done!

Jay Sheinfield
09-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Very nice! Love the colors and details. The diagonal lines are strong. Having just read that our next theme is geometrical, I thought this might fit the bill. What do you mean by "the rest was all pen applied?"

Anita, I primarily use the pen tool to apply filtering and tonal effects, rather than global filter application and then masking.

denise ippolito
09-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Jay, I love the scene and the processing work is top notch as usual. Details and colors look great. The crack in the cement is a nice touch.:S3:

Dave Mills
09-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi Jay, nice job framing the image with equally pleasing effects. When your on location very often it's not as easy as it looks composing an image like this. Well Handled!

Steve Adkins
09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Wonderful work, Jay. I enjoy your vision, comp and details. Now, I am imagining an evening version with the solar lights aglow...

Joe Senzatimore
09-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Whats not to like? Amazing detail. It looks like a fine art drawing.

Jay Sheinfield
09-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone. Feedback is always welcome.

Jay Sheinfield
09-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi Jay, nice job framing the image with equally pleasing effects. When your on location very often it's not as easy as it looks composing an image like this. Well Handled!

Hi Dave, I'm just catching up. Couldn't agree more about challenges when on location. It took about 20 frames before I settled on this one. Lens choice turned out to be deciding element, Too wide, to much stuff, too long then it was too compressed. 100mm did the trick with just enough of the scene, and not too much compression. Also a step to the left made a big difference. Thanks for kind words.

Anita Bower
09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi Dave, I'm just catching up. Couldn't agree more about challenges when on location. It took about 20 frames before I settled on this one. Lens choice turned out to be deciding element, Too wide, to much stuff, too long then it was too compressed. 100mm did the trick with just enough of the scene, and not too much compression. Also a step to the left made a big difference. Thanks for kind words.

Thanks for sharing this information. It is helpful to know what other photographers try before getting the image they want.

Roman Kurywczak
09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Sweeeeeet Jay!!!! Great comp and the PP'ing really makes it shine!

Jay Sheinfield
09-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Sweeeeeet Jay!!!! Great comp and the PP'ing really makes it shine!

Thanks, Roman.

Arthur Morris
09-08-2011, 05:52 PM
The composition and image design here is fine. There is no single strong vertical in the center of the frame..... The repeating vertical lines that get smaller as your eye travels through the image are a delight.

Jay Sheinfield
09-08-2011, 06:03 PM
The composition and image design here is fine. There is no single strong vertical in the center of the frame..... The repeating vertical lines that get smaller as your eye travels through the image are a delight.

Thanks much!