PDA

View Full Version : The 'Smoke that thunders'

Steve Kaluski
09-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Further on from Brendon's posting of Vic falls, here is a view from the other side, slightly elevated, about 300ft, the plume of spray was at a ceiling of 1800ft. Sadly they will not allow the removal of the door to get a clear shot, although the buffering at 1800 ft might be a tad strong. :bg3:. The slight diagonal line coming in from the RHS is a reflection on the choppers perspex.

Dave/Roman there is an aerial shot directly above which I could include on this to give a better perspective rather than making it another post, can this be done?

cheers
Steve

Subject: Approaching Vic falls from the air
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 24-70f/2.8 handheld
Exposure: 1/320s at f9 ISO200 (should have upped to 400 for faster SS) +0.33 stop compensation CP filter
Crop: FF (original capture horizontal)

PS: Levels/Curves/Saturation/Small amount of USM

dankearl
09-04-2011, 04:15 PM
The SS looks fine to me, and the filter gave a really nice sky look. It must have been a smooth flight!

Dave Mills
09-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi Steve, I feel you did a good job framing the comp using the shoreline as a leading edge. Nice detail in the spray also. At first I thought the reflection was more spray until I read your explanation but I don't feel it harms the image. I will allow the other post here but it should not be for critiquing purposes. Overall...nicely handled

Steve Kaluski
09-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi Dave, I will have a ponder, I totally agree this would not be for ponder more a reference.

Thanks

Robert Amoruso
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
The rich blues make this image very attractive.

Roman Kurywczak
09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Hey Steve,
Very high on my list of places to visit and you captured the "other side" very effectively! Looking forward tot the aerial view too!!! Looks like you will be a landscaper yet!

Rachel Hollander
09-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Steve - very nice. Definitely much more blue than when I was there and much sunnier too. I like the composition and the wide open feel.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
09-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Very nice comp Steve. Love the blues and the rising mist.