PDA

View Full Version : Theme Sanderling and a couple of friends.

Daniel Cadieux
09-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Shorebird migration is moving along nicely. Not a whole lot of individual birds mind you, but the ones I do find are 100% cooperative and tolerate close approach (as long as it is a slow and low approach). While photographing this Sanderling, the two Semipalmated Sandpipers that were hanging out with him would rarely wander out of the picture. On a couple of occasions it was a good thing as it offered a few good juxtaposition opportunities, such as in this image (IMO). Plus, it is always a nice bonus to get multiple species in a single frame.

Looks to me like a juvenile Sanderling molting into its first winter plumage, hope I got that right!

Canon 7D + 100-400L @275mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/6.3, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, 110% FF:S3: (I add canvas at right as the edge was much too close to the BG sandpiper). A couple of ugly dark objects eliminated in the FG and I also tried toning down the bright area in middle frame but did not like the result so I opted to leave it as is.

Arthur Morris
09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Love the image design and the juxtapositions. Hard to tell on the peeps with them being so out of focus.... My guess is worn juvie leasts.... I believe that the Sanderling is just a worn juvie as I think that the molt to first winter would start with the back feathers..... Overall a bit light from here.

Daniel Cadieux
09-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks Artie. Just to aid in IDing the back birds, here is a clear view of one of them (which I've ID'd as Semipalmated but of course could be wrong):

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/88617-Semipalmated-Sandpiper-Checking-Me-Out.

Arthur Morris
09-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes to juvie semi-p. The bit of orange in the scaps on this bird threw me off along with the skinny looking bills. Much easier sharp so thanks!

Bill Dix
09-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Lovely image, Daniel. I had the same experience recently, with Sanderlings and Sandpipers getting in each others way, but this one worked very nicely for you. The oof peeps, and FG/BG, give this a terrific perspective.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Daniel, I love how you made the Sanderling look so big with your super low angle. Did you eat any sand on that one? The overall comp is great with the two in the bg and I really like the bg splashes of greens

Craig Brelsford
09-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Daniel, once again you show the importance of perspective. Your low angle puts me right in the birds' world. You probably made the right decisions according to the limits of your camera, but I do find a tad unfortunate the blurry tail of the sanderling. Also, with Artie, I find the image a bit bright. Good job fitting in three birds and two species in one frame.

Arthur Morris
09-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Lovely image, Daniel. I had the same experience recently, with Sanderlings and Sandpipers getting in each others way, but this one worked very nicely for you. The oof peeps, and FG/BG, give this a terrific perspective.

Bill, Sanderlings are sandpipers :)

Bill Dix
09-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Yes they are. I should have said 'Sanderlings and Semipalms'.

Arthur Morris
09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Yes they are. I should have said 'Sanderlings and Semipalms'.

No probelma. I am a language pain in the ___. BTW, it should be Sanderlings and semipalms (the latter with a lower case "s)". :)