PDA

View Full Version : The crossing 2

Roman Kurywczak
09-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Starting to sort through the 80 gigs of images from my Tanzania tour. The crossings were the most memorable to me so I was glad to have that many opportunities at it. I did wide images also and will get to them shortly but I really wanted to try and capture the power and mood of the crossing and found it wasn't as easy as I expected! Withh that many bodies it was difficult to isolate an area without it being too busy. This is fast becoming one of my favorites from the trip.

Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 300-800m lens at 687mm at f/8 for 1/1000 sec and ISO 800. Removed some unwanted elements near edges. Saved at 59 quality.

Charles Glatzer
09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Roman,

The crossings are certainly one of natures greatest moments to behold. Super job on this one!
Last year I was fortunate to witness three such events, all moments I will never forget.

Best,

Chas

Tom Redd
09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow! Roman, I think I like this one better than the first one. The dust being kicked up and the animals lined up in the BG as it fades into the distance is just spectacular! The processing on this one also has a "painting" feel to it. I like this shot, fabulous!

Andrew Merwin
09-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I agree with Tom. I really like how the wildebeests are nearly invisible in the BG & then come into sharp focus in the FG. Very well captured.

Steve Kaluski
09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Roman, I really like this image, as to me, it contains all the chaos, drama, urgency and that leap of fear.

The dust churned up by the impending queuing Wildebeest wanting to cross really adds to the image, giving a nice layering look that has been lacking I feel in some of the other images posted on here and is an integral part to an image like this IMHO. It is incredible to think the strong urge these animals have to cross, knowing of a possible impeding doom is likely, with the submerged crocs, drives them to this, only to be repeated a few months on again.

Not sure what time of day this was shot at, looks late afternoon, but wonder if it could do with a little more punch, WDYT? Happy as presented, just a thought. These images just seem to be getting better in all areas, great.

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
09-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey Roman, I too prefer this one to your pevious post. The light in this is more even, and shows up their hides nicely. The dust in the BG with some wildebeest slightly visible works well.

Dave Mills
09-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Roman, agree with above comments. This is a difficult type of image too pull off due to the large amount of animals closely knit but you managed to isolate a center of interest. The fading clarity from front to back also helps to focus ones attention on the forward positioned animals. Well handled!!

Rachel Hollander
09-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Roman - agree with all the superlatives above. Great light and story to this, the dust adds a dimension ... I also love the 2 jumpers one after another, second with its head down. Big congrats and looking forward to more from the trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Lorant Voros
09-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Roman. I can't say much more than what I feel by looking at this one. I am drawn into the image; feel the energy, the movements and action. Amazing photography in my opinion and thanks for sharing.

Lorant

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Wow Roman this is one of the better "crossing" images I have seen lately...the dust adds so much and adds a diffusing factor to make the BG animals fade away and place emphasis on the drama upfront...

Steve Canuel
09-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Like this one a lot better than the previous post. Has a real nice painting like quality. The double jumpers are nice as are the appearance of all the "spectators" in the BG.

Steve Berkowitz
09-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Roman - I like this one better,too. You can really feel the mayhem going on in this one. Steve

Brendon Cremer
09-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Always a fantastic experience and you captured the scene very well:w3

Don Lacy
09-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Superb image Roman capturing that one wildebeest in mid leap holds the viewers attention with all the chaos going on around him. :cheers:

RakeshDhareshwar
09-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Agree with all the plusses here !! No 'minuses' for me . This is spectacular and the dust also makes this somewhat very moody . While all the gnus are crossing in the water or are contemplating it , the one with a 'leap of faith' holds the attention . The other elements just add to the drama !! GReat job of isolating this one .
I missed this event on my recent trip to Kenya .

Also , I was thinking about the 300-800 being one of the best lenses for the Mara / Serengati . What's your opinion ?

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2011, 07:39 PM
........... Also , I was thinking about the 300-800 being one of the best lenses for the Mara / Serengati . What's your opinion ?

I couldn't agree more!!! I love that lens for many reasons......but the zoom factor plays a huge role when you are in a vehicle and confined in movement. I also had the 100-400 on a second mark 3 so the versatility was awesome. I believe my Nikon clients who had the 200-400 had excellent results too. Zoom lenses are a huge asset when you are in a confined situation where mobility is an issue. I don't question the quality of fixed lenses.....for my tastes and uses.....I will gladly choose the Sigmonster every time!

dankearl
09-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Roman, this looks like a dramatic painting to me, just epic!
There are a lot of superlatives thrown around on this site, but this is just one
of the best photos I have seen posted here.
It looks almost surreal.
Exceptional.

Harshad Barve
09-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I have seen this crossing 6 many times and after having more than 2000 frames I could not find single one PERFECT

HI Roman

I am against flow here , this does not work for me either
TFS

Same here
TFS

Pieter de Waal
09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Roman all has been said about this fantastic image, certainly the best I have seen on the subject and agree the painterly feel and spotlight effect of the leaping Wildebeest adds to the drama of the scene.

DanWalters
09-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Love the chaotic energy! Like the the center wildebeest is in mid-air.

Robert Amoruso
09-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Given the chaos, you framed this one really well.

Tom Graham
09-06-2011, 11:21 PM
If ever there were a photo to show - "The light isn't the only thing, it is everything" this is it.
The side light sculptures the scene magnificently!!!
Tom