PDA

View Full Version : Turnstone - A 'reflective' moment

Steve Kaluski
09-02-2011, 04:23 AM
These little guys are great and in this particular location it almost acts like a mirror pool offering some good reflections IMHO.

I haven't forgotten, I will post another Grouse soon. :bg3:

Steve

Subject: Turnstone on the edge of water with reflection, early morning (Arenaria interpres)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 500f/4 plus 1.4x - Gitzo tripod/Wimberley head
Exposure: 1/160s at f5.6 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Crop: Almost FF, slight crop (original capture vertical)

PS: Levels, Curves,Own colour mix, slight USM, no blurring all done in camera

gail bisson
09-02-2011, 05:12 AM
This is very nice. Here in NS these guys are so jittery, one is lucky to get within 100 yards of them. I like the reflection and the BG. Love the vertical comp. I would rotate it CCW a bit.
Gail

christopher galeski
09-02-2011, 05:41 AM
very nice image,lke the colors,nice BG,good detail,the reflection is ok,but if I am honest,I like a sharp and clear reflection if possible,dont slap my legs:bg3:,thanks.

Ron Sprunger
09-02-2011, 08:15 AM
It's a wonderful image with great background and environment. I agree with Gail on rotation. I put a ruler from bill to reflected bill, and it came out 2.85 degrees CCW needed to get the reflection directly under the bird. Still crops ok at that if you either have some room top and sides in the original capture, or stretch the top-right and left-top background.

Stu Bowie
09-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Excellent sharpness Steve, and your angle has produced a good reflection too. The colours on the edge of the water pop nicely.

Daniel Cadieux
09-02-2011, 11:04 AM
If this is the type of image you can come up with at this location I'd be there often!! Rotating the image as noted above will make this one a winner.

Steve Kaluski
09-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys, took on board the rotation comment, looks better, thanks.

hi Daniel it's not always available, as it sits just behind a huge shingle bank protecting the area from salt water coming in from the coast. The water can dry up quickly and so the smaller birds like these or plovers etc will not be around, a bit of Wildlife luck is quite often required. :w3

Steve

Ron Sprunger
09-02-2011, 11:53 AM
The repost is great. This ought to go on a mag cover somewhere. I chased one of these guys at Fort De Soto in April, and got good enough ID photos, but to get one standing still in such a lovely setting is special.

Jonathan Ashton
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Excellent shot Steve - love the colours and composition.

Tom Redd
09-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Steve the repost is top notch! Love these colors, detail, BG, reflection, everything!

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Steve, what a shot....the low angle is terrific and what I like the most is the vegetation. very nice BG as well. If mine, I'd have more room above and a tad less below...might be personal preference though.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Great colors and reflection. Repost works for me.

Chris Martinez
09-02-2011, 09:14 PM
This is simply beautiful! Looks like a magic spot to photograph magnificent little bird.

Arthur Morris
09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Good job on the repost. I am fine with the soft REFL. Where?

Sidharth Kodikal
09-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Excellent image Steve. Colors, reflection, exposure, sharpness, pose - all A+. Repost is perfect. Love it.

Steve Kaluski
09-03-2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks once again folks. :wave:

Hi Artie, it's a location in Norfolk, on the SE coast of the UK. :w3

Craig Brelsford
09-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I love this species and I like this image; I'm glad that others caught the slight tilt. I think the turnstone looks a bit cramped in the frame; I wouldn't be shy about including more of what seems to be a very attractive setting. The only part of the setting that I don't like is the blurry line running between the turnstone and its reflection.

Geir Jensen
09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
It was a beautiful picture. Wonderful colors. Great reflection.
Regards Geir Jensen.:bg3: